Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first 2012 DC not visible on network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My first 2012 DC not visible on network

    I have replaced my old 2000 DC with a 2003 DC. I have promoted my new 2012 server to a DC, have made it a global catalog and need to move all FSMO roles to the 2012 DC and take down the 2003 DC. For some reason, the 2003 DC can't see the 2012 DC. I am unable to ping the 2012 DC from the 2003 server or any client pc's. Temporarily, I turned off the firewall on the 2012 machine but still can't see it on the network by hostname. I can ping it by IP address but not by hostname. DNS has replicated to the 2012 DC and DNS is working on the 2003 DC. I can't even ping the 2012 DC from itself by hostname. What could be wrong ???????????????

  • #2
    Re: My first 2012 DC not visible on network

    Check the network (NIC) settings on both servers, specifically the DNS settings. Then verify that the DNS zone information is identical on both DCs (I assume you have the DNS role installed on both servers), and that there's an A record pointing to the IPv4 address of the 2012 server.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: My first 2012 DC not visible on network

      On the NIC, the first DNS entry on both servers is the IP address of the 2003 server. Not sure what an A entry is. If not there, how do I enter it and on which server ?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: My first 2012 DC not visible on network

        The DNS role is installed on both the 2003 and 2012 servers. The zone entries are all the same in 2012 as they are in 2003. Yes, there was an A entry for the 2012 server in both 2003 and 2012 servers DNS, but the 2012 server is still invisible, can only be reached by IP address, not by name.

        It does seem that DNS is working on the 2012 server. I took the 2003 server offline and changed the DNS entry on the NIC of several client computers, rebooted them and they are able to see everything on the network. Everything except the 2012 server itself. Even though the server itself can't be seen, it does seem to be doing DNS properly. Network discovery and file sharing are turned on.
        Last edited by starrouter; 15th September 2014, 02:47.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: My first 2012 DC not visible on network

          Grrrrrr, it is an A Record and NOT an A entry.

          Look at the IP entries in the 2012 DC NIC properties.
          Primary DNS should be 127.0.0.1 for IPv4 and ::1 if running IPv6
          Secondary DNS should be the IP of the 2003 DC

          On the 2003 DC properties.
          Primary DNS should be IP of the 2003 DC for IPv4
          Secondary DNS should be the IP of the 2012 DC
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: My first 2012 DC not visible on network

            Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Grrrrrr, it is an A Record and NOT an A entry.

            Look at the IP entries in the 2012 DC NIC properties.
            Primary DNS should be 127.0.0.1 for IPv4 and ::1 if running IPv6
            Secondary DNS should be the IP of the 2003 DC

            On the 2003 DC properties.
            Primary DNS should be IP of the 2003 DC for IPv4
            Secondary DNS should be the IP of the 2012 DC
            Configured DNS on both NICS as you show above, primary DC (2012) still not visible by hostname. Not running IPV6

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: My first 2012 DC not visible on network

              What exactly do you mean "It's not visible"? Do you mean you can't see it in Network Neighborhood or My Network Places? That's normal if Network Discovery is turned off, but that doesn't have any bearing on it's role as a DC/DNS server.

              If it doesn't respond to pings that's normal as that's blocked by the firewall by default, but that doesn't have any bearing on it's role as a DC/DNS server.

              If you cannot resolve it's hostname then that is a problem.

              So which is it?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: My first 2012 DC not visible on network

                Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                What exactly do you mean "It's not visible"? Do you mean you can't see it in Network Neighborhood or My Network Places? That's normal if Network Discovery is turned off, but that doesn't have any bearing on it's role as a DC/DNS server.

                If it doesn't respond to pings that's normal as that's blocked by the firewall by default, but that doesn't have any bearing on it's role as a DC/DNS server.

                If you cannot resolve it's hostname then that is a problem.

                So which is it?
                I can't resolve it's hostname.

                It's hostname is DCSOPDC, it's address is 192.168.200.2
                I can ping it and get to shares on it if I replace the hostname with it's ip address, but not by it's hostname.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: My first 2012 DC not visible on network

                  Let's take a step back.

                  1. on the 2003 DC, in ADUC can you see the 2012 DC in the Domain Controllers OU?
                  2. on the 2012 DC can you run an NSLOOKUP and resolve the 2012 DC? Can you resolve the 2003 DC?
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

                  Network Consultant/Engineer
                  Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                  www.gma-cpa.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: My first 2012 DC not visible on network

                    Read through the whole thread and it seems that you've already answered the 2nd question.

                    I also will assume that the server is in the Domain Controllers OU.

                    I would check the event log FRS and Directory Services logs.

                    If the 2012 server can not resolve the 2003 server:
                    - Change the 2012 server's DNS settings to point to the 2003 DC
                    - force AD replication (is DNS AD integrated)
                    - Change the 2012 DC's DNS settings to point back to itself.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

                    Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: My first 2012 DC not visible on network

                      What is the IP of the 2003 DC?
                      What Subnet Mask are you using?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: My first 2012 DC not visible on network

                        Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                        Read through the whole thread and it seems that you've already answered the 2nd question.

                        I also will assume that the server is in the Domain Controllers OU.

                        I would check the event log FRS and Directory Services logs.

                        If the 2012 server can not resolve the 2003 server:
                        - Change the 2012 server's DNS settings to point to the 2003 DC
                        - force AD replication (is DNS AD integrated)
                        - Change the 2012 DC's DNS settings to point back to itself.

                        I changed the 2012 DNS settings to point back to itself and it's name started resolving ! All is good. I've moved all of the FSMO roles to 2012 and put the 2003 DC to sleep. Thank you all for your valued assistance...... I'm a little green at some of this.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X