Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between "Share" and "Advanced Sharing"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between "Share" and "Advanced Sharing"?

Hi! I have a W2012 file server. I've created a folder and have shared it using the server manager. When I right click the shared folder, choose "Properties" and "Sharing" there are two buttons. "Share" indicates the folder is shared to Administrator and my username. If I click "Advanced Sharing" it indicates it's shared for "Everyone".

What is the difference between these two?

Thanks!

Re: What is the difference between "Share" and "Advanced Sharing"?

you have two options with file sharing on windows 7 and 8. by default, the sharing wizard is enabled and will work for small setups where everything is on the same homegroup and on the same subnet, etc. etc.

first thing to do is turn it off.

folder options: Organize -> folder and search options in 7 or view -> options in 8... the box that says: 'use sharing wizard (recommended)' do yourself a favor and uncheck it.

this will allow you to utilize the advanced sharing properties.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      you have two options with file sharing on windows 7 and 8. by default, the sharing wizard is enabled and will work for small setups where everything is on the same homegroup and on the same subnet, etc. etc.

first thing to do is turn it off.

folder options: Organize -> folder and search options in 7 or view -> options in 8... the box that says: 'use sharing wizard (recommended)' do yourself a favor and uncheck it.

this will allow you to utilize the advanced sharing properties.
      I absolutely HATE it when MS takes something simple and tries to make it easy.

Thanks for the reply, I'm good now.

Comment

You have to remember that the 'simple' method is designed for situations where security is not a major issue - e.g. basic home networks or very small SOHO networks, as James implied. For anything else, use the advanced sharing options.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I always go with 'advanced sharing' maybe because i'm a little old school. It's easier to tell which groups have which access to what.
          Remember the sharing tab is the door to the room. This is usually generally relaxed permissions. Everyone, or another general security group.
          The NTFS permissions is where you control the fine grain access and where you should pay most attention. It's like anyone can enter the room but only one or two people can use the locked down remote to use the TV or have access to rest in the bed.
          Hope i've not confused you more.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

With my cynics hat on (it rarely comes off, some of you may have noticed ), one works (Advanced Sharing) and one doesn't.

IME advanced sharing works the way sharing did in Server 2003, whilst sharing almost always doesn't give the expected results.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X