Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote access software for Windows Server 2012

Hello there,

I have a dedicated Windows Server 2012 server, and I need remote access from a PC from a Mac OS X simultaneously.
    Today, I use Remote Desktop Connection on the Mac and TeamViewer on your PC.

The problem is that the PC loses connection when Remote Desktop Connection is closed!

What is the solution for either the PC or the Mac or the two at the same time to access the server desktop?

Is there a setting that allows TeamViewer this?

Should I use or purchase additional software? if so, which one?

In short, what is the best solution to this problem?

Thank you!
    Last edited by AlejandroMatamoros; 23rd August 2014, 00:33.

Re: remote access software for Windows Server 2012

Remote Desktop.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I have used RDP and a colleague was using Teamviewer while I gave them a lesson on setting up something I can't remember in Server 2008 R2 so it should work. Servers allow 2 RDP connections but if you use the same User Account one session will kick the other off (unless there is a Reg Hack for it).
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you for the answer!

As I am quite ignorant on the subject, I would like confirmation on being able to use RDP, stating that:

The goal is to access the server (windows 2012) simultaneously with one PC and one Mac on the same session, to access the same software, and on the same instance of the software. (eg suppose on the server there is an excel spreadsheet open on the desktop, so I hope that two remote users to simultaneously view the same spreadsheet and to get involved on it ...)

Can you confirm to me that this is possible with a reconfiguration of RDP?

What should I do on my server?

Thank you!

Comment

oh. no, you can't do that with RDP.

RDP is single-session, per-user.
          Sure, you could use two RDP sessions and have one user shadow the other, but that's not very friendly.

VNC would probably be the best way to do this. Install VNC-server on the server. make sure you set a password.
          Then run vnc-client on the computers.
          make sure that the server being accessed via VNC is not available on the public internet - vnc is particularly insecure.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            oh. no, you can't do that with RDP.

RDP is single-session, per-user.
            Sure, you could use two RDP sessions and have one user shadow the other, but that's not very friendly.

VNC would probably be the best way to do this. Install VNC-server on the server. make sure you set a password.
            Then run vnc-client on the computers.
            make sure that the server being accessed via VNC is not available on the public internet - vnc is particularly insecure.
            Thank you.

But do you know some other 3rd part software which allows remote control multi-user access to the same session in the server and which gives a quality service or better service than Real VNC?
            Last edited by AlejandroMatamoros; 27th August 2014, 00:02.

Comment

teamviewer does, as my learned associate has already pointed out
              however, expect it to cost if you want a commercial licence. around $AU600 from memory

Comment

Originally posted by AlejandroMatamoros View Post
                Thank you.

But do you know some other 3rd part software which allows remote control multi-user access to the same session in the server and which gives a quality service or better service than Real VNC?
                TightVNC or another VNC application.

TeamViewer, GoToAssist, etc, etc, etc

Are the connections local or remote sessions??

What exactly is the perfomrance issue??

Comment

Problem I see is that the OP want to have 2 different Remote Users open and work on the SAME file at the SAME time. If you want to do this then I believe you need to install Microsoft SharePoint Workspace, previously known as Microsoft Office Groove.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    Problem I see is that the OP want to have 2 different Remote Users open and work on the SAME file at the SAME time. If you want to do this then I believe you need to install Microsoft SharePoint Workspace, previously known as Microsoft Office Groove.
                    It looks to me like they want users to connect to the same remote session and work on the same file.

Comment

You can edit the local policy of the server and allow multiple RDP connections to the server. Then use RDP as opposed to Team Viewer to allow different users work at the same time.

Be aware that there could be licensing issues if you allow multiple non admin users to connect to the server in this manner.
                      MACs can use CoRD to access RDP connections, can't port the URL, so Google it.

To edit the server settings;
                      1. Open a blank MMC by typing mmc at the Start search window.
                      2. Open File > Add or Remove Snap-Ins, add in Group Policy Object Editor and select Local Computer as the Group Policy Object.
                      3. Open Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services >Connections
                      4. Disable Restrict Remote Desktops Services Users to a single...
                      5. Edit Limit number of connections to 2 or 3.
                      6. Close that out then.

HTH
                      The most important thing in life is to be yourself.

Unless you can be Batman.
                      Always be Batman.

Comment

logmein and uVNC work together and dont kick each other off when viewing the same session...
                        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

This is how I do it in GPO (attached). This allows me to Connect via RDP to assist Helpdesk with the problems they are working on without kicking them off the machine. I can also see what they are doing at the same time.
                          Attached Files

Comment

run the server in terminal server mode, grant users remote access and allow one of the users to interact with the remote session. You will need to but Terminal server cals after 120 days which come in lots of 5 but this will work.

Comment

Working...
                            X