Server 2012 and Win 8 clients

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2012 and Win 8 clients

I imagine this is a dumb question, so be prepared for a laugh...

It seems everyone configures their 8.1 user names as a reflection of their email address, like [email protected]. In creating users on a 2012 server, do I have to carry this convention over and make their domain user names the same as their email addresses? I did not think I could, but it seems if I do not, their Win 8 user name won't be recognized... bob and [email protected] obviously aren't the same person to Kerberos.
    This is my third 2012 server but the first with all Win 8.1 clients and I am not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance for your help (and pity).

Re: Server 2012 and Win 8 clients

Firstly, please do not double post. It's against the forum rules.

There is no requirement for usernames and email addresses to correlate, and in indeed the only way they could as far as AD is concerned is for you to use a routable namespace for your AD domain. Windows 8.1 as a domain member has no difference in terms of AD requirements from it's predecessors - you can logon using a Windows LiveID but this is independent of AD.

I think you might be getting confused between email address and UPN. A user can have the email address [email protected] and be a member of the AD forest domain.local, so they can logon as DOMAIN\Someone or as [email protected], but not as [email protected].

For simplicity's sake, most companies will use the same prefix as in the email address for the AD account name, as it's one thing for the user to remember. So [email protected] would be DOMAIN\Joe.Bloggs
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Re: Server 2012 and Win 8 clients

no, those people are using Windows Live accounts.

if you join a computer to a Windows Domain, it shouldn't need to use those live accounts. In fact, you can specifically use Group Policy to prevent that.

create the username however you see fit, firstname.lastname or f.lastname or firstname.L - doesn't really matter if you've got a standard.

then, join the computer to the domain, push out the GPO, then they can only logon wit htheir domain accounts

Comment

Working...
      X