Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS Namespace Redundancy

Hi

I presently use a Windows 2008 domain controller named Phobos to host DFS and the various namespaces. The data is hosted on a 2008 storage server and is not replicated.

I wish to add redundancy to DFS by replicating the namespace setup to a 2012 r2 domain controller named Atlas. What I am trying to achieve is that if Phobos becomes unavailable the clients should be able to access the DFS paths via Atlas.

I have installed the DFS role on Atlas but am uncertain as to what I need to do next to provide this redundancy. I've had a search but the solutions I've seen are ambiguous and I have not found a clear step-by-step guide. I'm reluctant to experiment as I don't want to inadvertently break our DFS setup.

Thanks!
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: DFS Namespace Redundancy

hows about something like this:

To configure Failover Setup of DFS

Set up the system, i.e., install Agents, create Jobs, select and mirror data among your sites.

Create a DFS root. (Do not link Jobs to the root.) DFS roots must be created by you, domain based, on partitions generated with Windows. You will have multiple targets in the root target referral list.

Add DFS links. (These link folders can be linked to your Jobs.) You can add DFS links under the DFS roots to reference (referral) any root or link in the DFS tree.

Specify replicas or link targets for a DFS root or link. Multiple DFS Targets.

Your setup resulted in mirror copies on two or more Windows servers, which update as the files change. These mirrors at your Agents are accessible by Active Directory and can therefore be link targets. All copies are referred to as replicas, including the local version on your primary. DFS-aware clients will automatically select the nearest replica based on the site topology information. They only redirect to the alternate replica if the original is unavailable.
    and then you can use this as a reference too:
    Step-by-Step Guide to Distributed File System (Dfs)

then you would have to do some DNS round-robin style setup to ensure if the primary is down, the backup picks up the slack.

there is also a spiceworks discussion i was recently reading on this exact topic... it involved some interesting discussion on failover and errors during replication and what would happen. you might want to check it too, just a CYA kinda look..

File Server Redundancy?
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Thanks for the info, but I don't want to replicate the data, I want to replicate the namespaces.

Edit
      Damn: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732807.aspx
      Last edited by Blood; 20th August 2014, 17:47.

Comment

Just add the additional DC as a namespace server (sorry, nothing handy to check on, but I'm pretty sure its right click on the root and "add namespace server")
        You will need to create a root share (e.g. C:\DFSRoot) on the new namespace server
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Just add the additional DC as a namespace server (sorry, nothing handy to check on, but I'm pretty sure its right click on the root and "add namespace server")
          You will need to create a root share (e.g. C:\DFSRoot) on the new namespace server
          That's the correct way to do it.

I've just had to redo a server in one of our offices and redo 4 namespaces this way.

Easy to do and takes effect very quickly.

Comment

Thanks a lot, folks. I had not realised that you needed to add a namespace server to each namespace. I thought you could simply add the redundancy by right-clicking higher up the tree.

When I specified our 2012 r2 domain controller as the additional namespace server a new folder named DFSRoots was automatically created. I have looked at the properties and it is not shared. The same folder on the server that hosts DFS is not shared either.

I will remove the DFS role from the 2012 r2 server.

[Edit]
            It won't let me remove DFS. No problem, I'll leave it in place.

Comment

Working...
            X