Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win 2012 new installation advice..

Hi all,

I need tips and advice on the easiest way of replacing an old server. I have currently a 10 year old server running win 2003, it is running AD, a shared network drive, SQL server and a few others programs which users access from the server. I am going to purchase a new server with win server 2012.

What would be the easiest way to replace the old server with the new one without the users being affected or knowing the change? I was planning of giving the new server the same IP and network name as the old one.. so all the shared drives and programs links etc stay the same and I will not have to reconfigure all these on the workstations.

Thanks in advance guys.

Re: win 2012 new installation advice..

You can't easily give it the same details without scrapping the old one first (new domain, join all clients to it, create new user accounts etc.
    How many users/ computers?

before starting, check SQL server will still work or if you need to upgrade first

Suggest you then:

build server
    join to domain under new name
    DC Promo as additional DC
    Copy data
    re-map drives (are you using scripts?)
    install SQL
    Migrate dbs
    decommission old server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

bring it online on its new IP. add the roles just like the other server. verify replication and allow time for propagation. mirror the directory on the old server to the new server. gracefully demote the old server and take it off line. change the IP address for the new box... or enable a second adapter and give it the same address as the old server.

this is fine if you use the IP in these scripts and such for your domain. if you use host name, you will either have to modify the scripts or create and alias fudging the servers name with DNS...
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

so not something i can do overnight then?

My best approach would be to setup the new server first as a additional DC server in the domain. Then once I have got it setup and fully, remove the old one.
        There are about 50 workstations and 80 domain users. The network drives are mapped locally on each workstation.

Thanks for the advice guys

Comment

No - not an overnight job. You need to plan it out.

What about backups?
          Profiles / roaming profiles?
          Data? Redirected folders?
          Drive mappings?

How are you backing up the SQL? Do you have the correct passwords / access to the DBs?

There's a load to consider here...
          Regards,

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by wijcc View Post
            so not something i can do overnight then?
            not really. you can, but it would probably not have a chance to complete replication properly unless you started real early and didnt try to finish till real late and you forced replications across a very fast LAN...

dont rush it like that, its just asking for problems. use the BPA and listen to what it says (some of the time! haha) and use it to determine how far along you are in the process before moving on to the next step.

My best approach would be to setup the new server first as a additional DC server in the domain. Then once I have got it setup and fully (FULLY WHAT??), remove the old one.
            that is the simplified version, but essentially yes. you should make sure you have the documentation for each step and the arguments for all the cmd line junk youll be using, and make sure you have it available OFFLINE just in case something happens and you cant get an internet connection. remember the browser settings on the server fresh OOB and that you might need to have some back up to manage thru...

The network drives are mapped locally on each workstation.
            WHAT?! 50 stations that have been manually configured for the drives? what do you use your active directory for if thats the case?? you are aware that you can manage all that via one box, your AD PDC! what happens when you change drive locations due to failure of an array or such? do you literally have to go to each station to change the mappings?

can you say security groups and policy??
            its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
            Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

they don't all use the networked drives.

Can I use a win server 2003 based machine as a backup DC if I have a win server 2012 based server as the PDC?

Comment

As long as you don't raise the AD functional levels above 2003, you can have 2012R2 and 2003 DCs on the same domain

Since you are upgrading a 10+ year old OS, this is a very good chance to review how you do everything in your network!
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

review things like what?

Currently I do backups to a removeable NAS and also a secondary overnight backup to another machine which acts a backup DC as well. This is just a workstation which also has win sever 2003 on it. After change the main server i plan of doing the same with the backup DC.

Comment

Review:
                    Organisation of AD - OUs etc
                    GPOs
                    Password and other security policies
                    Remove unneeded users and computers
                    File organisation
                    File Security

Probably a lot more - others will add to the list
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

You may wish to review security groups and membership. Flush out old accounts, set up dedicated service accounts. At the end of the day you are the only person who can determine what needs doing. If you've kept on top of these chores over the years and everything is spick and span you probably have nothing to worry about.

However, migrating to a new server OS, especially if you are used to using 2003 is a big leap so at the very least you will need to learn how active directory works on a Win 2012 server.

As others have said the key is not to rush it. Take your time and refer to your network documentation and look at how you will implement that in a 2012 environment.
                      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                      X