Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Robocopy to migrate file server ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2012 R2 Robocopy to migrate file server ?

Hi People,

Can anyone here please suggest what is the correct parameter to be use when copying one file server data to another ?

here's what I use initially:

Code:
    robocopy.exe "\\Server2008Source\Data" S:\Data *.* /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT /E /MIR /SECFIX /SEC /XO /ZB /R:0 /W:0 /NP /NFL /NDL /TEE /LOG:"C:\Result.log"
    but somehow the directory inherited permission that is copied across from the old file server 2008 to the new S: drive on the Windows Server 2012 R2 got different inherited directory permission ?

My existing AD account is already member of Local admin on both file servers and I have run as administrator on the batch script.

Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 Robocopy to migrate file server ?

ok, if im reading/understanding you, then i think that the these articles (particularly the blog link) will help. i believe that robocopy did exactly like it was supposed to. to achieve what i think your trying to do (i am not a master script writer, but am very good at following directions and performing accurate testing PRIOR to implementation, so someone may have a better idea) i am going to refer you to a KB article that was written by Mr. Robocopy with excerpts from another roboplayer, Martin Zugec (helpful blog in general) that touches on the issues that i think your having.

their suggestion is something like the following:

Code:
    > ROBOCOPY /Mir <Source> <Target> 
    > ROBOCOPY /E /Copy:S /IS /IT <Source> <Target>
    does that seem like its describing what your talking about? if not, im sorry for misunderstanding you, i just thought that would help you out...
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      ok, if im reading/understanding you, then i think that the these articles (particularly the blog link) will help. i believe that robocopy did exactly like it was supposed to. to achieve what i think your trying to do (i am not a master script writer, but am very good at following directions and performing accurate testing PRIOR to implementation, so someone may have a better idea) i am going to refer you to a KB article that was written by Mr. Robocopy with excerpts from another roboplayer, Martin Zugec (helpful blog in general) that touches on the issues that i think your having.

their suggestion is something like the following:

Code:
      > ROBOCOPY /Mir <Source> <Target> 
      > ROBOCOPY /E /Copy:S /IS /IT <Source> <Target>
      does that seem like its describing what your talking about? if not, im sorry for misunderstanding you, i just thought that would help you out...
      yeah, i read that page as well, but is that article still applicable to the Windows erver 2012 R2 Robocopy ?

Comment

ok, if youve been there already, then i must be reading you correctly...

i hate to use wiki as a ref, but it has the version numbers and such that would help you identify the abilities you have with whatever build your running.

Versions[edit]
        Note: Several versions of Robocopy do not show the version number when executing Robocopy /? on the command line.

Product version File version Year Origin Other
        1.70 - 1997 Windows NT Resource Kit
        1.71 4.0.1.71 1997 Windows NT Resource Kit
        1.95 4.0.1.95 1999 Windows 2000 Resource Kit
        1.96 4.0.1.96 1999 Windows 2000 Resource Kit 1995-1997
        XP010 5.1.1.1010 2003 Windows 2003 Resource Kit
        XP026 5.1.2600.26 2005 Downloaded with Robocopy GUI v.3.1.2
        XP027 5.1.10.1027 2008 Bundled with Windows Vista, Server 2008, Windows 7 1995-2004
        6.1 6.1.7601 2009 KB2639043 2009
        6.2 6.2.9200 2012 Bundled with Windows 8 2012
        6.3 6.3.9600 2013 Bundled with Windows 8.1 2013
        have you manually adjusted folder permissions or broken inheritance on the folder(s)/directory(s) in question?

robocopy should robocopy, period. i dont believe that anything has changed significantly enough to be the source of the problem at hand. its something outside robocopy imo...

i see that you logged the output to a txt... anything interesting in the logs??
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
        X