Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decommissioning a domain controller - Possible Scenarios

Hello,

I am in the process of upgrading my window server 2003 to 2012 R2.

I have introduced a swing DC,installed 2012 on it,ensured that replication is occuring between the two and succesffully transfered the roles from the old DC to the new temporary 2012 DC.

Refer to this thread for the procedures in use

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=63803

Now i intend to decommission the old 2003 server , and to a fresh reinstallation of 2012 in it,then once i ensure replication has occured, transfer back the roles and decommission the swing DC

Both server are global catalogs..

My question is this, Do i just do a fresh reinstallation of the 2012 on the old server 2003 without first demoting it? or do i demote it ,test and then install 2012 on it...

Since the servers are GC both,is there a possibility that when i demote the old DC the DNS,AD details that had replicated dissapears?

What any other cautions should i check?

Thanks

Re: Decommissioning a domain controller - Possible Scenarios

ALWAYS gracefully demote DCs when you can. As part of the process, the wizard will ensure that any AD data is 100% replicated to another DC before removing the Domain Controller role.

Always worth checking the event logs to make sure everything is happy, and running the repadmin tool as well.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

In addition, a graceful demotion will transfer the FSMO roles to another DC, so there's no need to do that manually.

Comment

I have already transferred the fsmo roles correctly...however when when i was installing the dns in the new swing pc i specified the server to which it should replicate to...i didnt select replicate with any domain contoller. Can this affect anything? Like when i demote the server with 2003? Thx

Comment

Working...
        X