Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replication of two DHCP & WSUS servers

Hello People,

I am in the process of upgrading my windows server 2003 to 2012 R2..

I have the swing PC/DC installed , DNS records & Active directory seems to be replicating between the 2003 and the 2012 server.

However, the problem is the DHCP & WSUS servers installed in the 2k3 arent replicating in the new 2012 box..

Is there a way i can make sure they do before i start transfering the roles..

What other checks should i carry out?

Thanks

Re: Replication of two DHCP & WSUS servers

dhcp and wsus won't replicate ..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Install WSUS on a Server then copy the files into the new WSUS and then Synchronise. Database updates and "recognises" all the Update you copied from old WSUS. (Though I gotta admit I haven't tried this on Server 2012 R2 yet but can see no reason why it shouldn't work just like it used to.)

This saves having to download all those blasted files again. Just make sure your new WSUS is fully configured before Syncing.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Or just set the new WSUS as a downstream replica of the old, let files synchronise, then make it an upstream server
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Install WSUS on a Server then copy the files into the new WSUS and then Synchronise. Database updates and "recognises" all the Update you copied from old WSUS. (Though I gotta admit I haven't tried this on Server 2012 R2 yet but can see no reason why it shouldn't work just like it used to.)

This saves having to download all those blasted files again. Just make sure your new WSUS is fully configured before Syncing.

wow..i have tried it yet...but am now back..how do i synchronise...

am also not sure whether if i do a fresh wsus installation, the machines will be able to detect the new wsus and move from the old server that had wsus

Comment

You will need to alter the Group Policy settings to point clients to the new WSUS server
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              You will need to alter the Group Policy settings to point clients to the new WSUS server
              thanks for this,will get back

Comment

Originally posted by pope View Post
                wow..i have tried it yet...but am now back..how do i synchronise...

am also not sure whether if i do a fresh wsus installation, the machines will be able to detect the new wsus and move from the old server that had wsus
                really??

Open up the WSUS console, click on downstream servers then click on add.

Comment

Working...
                X