Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inplace upgread Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2012

Hello,
    I am testing inplace upgrade from Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2012 R2. My test server is Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise, Evaluation (activated) and it is a domain controller. I tried to perform an inplace upgrade, however it failed. The compatibility report says that Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise cannot be upgraded to Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Evaluation (Server with GUI).

The following Technet article states out clearly that this upgrade IS SUPPORTED:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../dn303416.aspx

I also updated the schema. It went well and it was completed without error.

Thank you.
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Re: Inplace upgread Windows 2008 R2 to Windows 2012

The MS page you provide the link for tells you that you can't upgrade an evaluation copy. See the 1st paragraph under the heading "Upgrading previous retail versions...". Just because your version of 2008 is activated doesn't automatically mean it's licensed. Based on that statement and your explanation of what's happened, it looks to me that your situation is by design.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for you info. I read it more carefuly and it seems that evaluation versions can't be upgraded.
      " The table below briefly summarizes which already licensed (that is, not evaluation) Windows operating systems can be upgraded to which editions of Windows Server 2012 R2"
      I try to prepare volume licensed servers and test the upgrade again. I will get back later.
      Thanks.
      Regards,
      Csaba Papp
      Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

I installad and activated a MAK. Windows reports my system as Genuine. Unfortunatelly the inplace upgrade still doesn't work. The same incompatibilty message. Window 2012 R2 was downloaded from Technet Evaluation Center.
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp

Comment

Installing a MAK license doesn't change the install from evaluation copy to a licensed OS install, so you're still trying with evaluation copies, either older or newer. And you stated that you got your 2012 R2 install '...from Technet Evaluation Center.' You're still trying to do the same thing as before.

If you honestly believe you're not at fault with the versions and keys you're using, then contact Microsoft about it. But as many others here will attest, one question to MS about licensing can result in numerous different answers, and no 2 of those will agree.
          *RicklesP*

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Before I start upgrading my production environment (root and one chaild domain, more than 10 DCs) I would like to test the inplace upgrade in my testing environment. That is all.
            Regards,
            Csaba Papp

Comment

I understand what you're trying to do and I approve wholeheartedly of the way you're trying to test it. Unfortunately, the free downloads available appear to be designed to require a purchase for what you're trying to test. Unless Microsoft themselves can guide you as regards how you can move forward without breaking the bank, I see no way to continue without forking out cash.

You may end up taking the plunge by buying the newer OS, then adding new member servers as 2012R2 boxes, promoting them to DCs, then retiring the older 2008R2 servers. If you do it as a rolling change, leave the Functional Level of your domain at 2008 until the last DC is retired, then promote the forest to 2012 FL. You could then do the same rolling change to the other member servers. Or set up a couple of VMs instead of using physical boxes. At least the VMs can have snapshots taken before the upgrade attempt. If it blows up, revert back and you've lost nothing, but gained some insight to go back to M-Soft with.
              *RicklesP*

Comment

Do you already have the licenses available for the proposed upgrade?

Comment

I got a Windows 2012 R2 from Microsoft Partners web site. The company I working for is MS Partner.
                  The upgrade worked as design.
                  Conclusion: In place upgrade is not working with trial versions. Hmm, from my point it is not good. Inplace upgrade is a strong part of testing. For somebody who has access only to trial versions it is impossible to test this issue
                  Regards,
                  Csaba Papp

Comment

One of the many reasons why Microsoft WILL regret killing off TechNet

</rant>
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X