No announcement yet.

New 2012R2 DC FSMO requirements

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2012R2 DC FSMO requirements

This is mostly a theoretical question, but important anyway.

In a forrest with 3 domains, each having 2 DC's running 2012R2, and I want to install a new 2012R2 DC in one of the domains, and the q is.

Which FSMO role have to be available during provisioning?

Re: New 2012R2 DC FSMO requirements

You have forest-level roles, Schema master and Domain Naming master. Those 2 roles appear only once in an entire forest. The other 3 roles are domain-level specific, so each domain would have it's own master for each of those 3: Primary Domain Controller (PDC) Emulator, RID Master, Infrastructure Master.

Your forest-level domain, then, has 5 roles (forest + domain), and the other 2 domains have 3 roles (domain only), each.

If each domain has roles assigned correctly, adding a new DC be simple: use a server already a member and DCPromo it. While I've never tried it, I'm assuming you want all the roles up and running before trying to add a new DC to a domain, if for no other reason so that the new DC doesn't try to take any roles because it couldn't find something.
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **