Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADPrep on 2003/2008 domain

Hello

I'll soon be introducing a Windows Server 2012 R2 DC to our domain.

We have two DC's: 2003 (32bit) and 2008 (32bit). All FSMO's are on the 2008 DC

At present, the FFL and DFL is at 2003 and the schema is at 44.

I've read quite a bit about the promotion process and am reasonably clear on how it works. I see that ADPrep runs automatically so there's no need to do that before promoting the 2012 R2 server.

However, when looking at problems others have had I saw one instance where the promotion failed because the schema update had not replicated to the other DC's. I assume that they had run ADPrep first and then had promoted their DC immediately after.

I can't find anything else about this, but just wanted to be sure that promoting the server to a DC and allowing ADPrep to run as part of the promotion process would be sufficient to prepare our domain considering that there are 2 DC's already present.

After the 2012 R2 promotion has been successful and the DC has been working fine for a couple of weeks I will demote the 2003 server.

Hopefully, I won't have anything to worry about but would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this.

Thanks!

[Edit]
    Also, both DC's are GC's
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: ADPrep on 2003/2008 domain

If you are worried, I would do it the "traditional" way and run ADPrep on your Schema Master FSMO a day or so before the Promo

I think I did that when I last upped to 2012R2 (forgot the autoPrep existed ) and had no problems
    Last edited by Ossian; 28th March 2014, 19:33.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot, Ossian, I'll do that.

Cheers

Comment

Resurrecting this because I will be promoting an existing 2012 R2 member server to a domain controller this weekend.

I have a couple more questions regarding the use of ADPrep if I may.

I have read that the \gpprep parameter is not run as part of the ADDS installation and schema upgrade and that it should be run separately after ADDS installation is complete. Will this be necessary in our environment?

Assuming it is...
        I have also read about running ADPrep 'remotely'. Reading through the instructions for this and various other resources I have not seen reference to parameters that allow you to specify a server name when running it from the command line. Do you simply start up a command prompt on the 2012 server and run adprep /gpprep? I assume the changes will replicate or will the program connect to the other DC's in the domain and upgrade them?

I'm a little confused about the latter part

Thanks!

Comment

If you've already got one 2012 R2 DC, you don't need to run adprep again.

Comment

Thanks, but we don't have a Win 2012 DC, just the two I described in my first post. This will be the first 2012 DC.

Comment

IIRC you don't need to target ADPrep to a particular server, it queries AD to find the Schema Master. Changes will then replicate from that DC to the others.

Any time I've manually ran ADPrep with the /gpprep switch I've been told I don't need to run it by the program. It's very quick to run anyway, IIRC it's /forestprep that takes the time.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

That's very reassuring. Thanks to everyone for their help

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                  Thanks, but we don't have a Win 2012 DC, just the two I described in my first post. This will be the first 2012 DC.
                  Bah, I misread the first sentence of your post.

Do yourself a favor, kids....stop aging.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
                    Do yourself a favor, kids....stop aging.
                    Haha - we all do our best

I think Groucho Marx said it best when he made that reference to how young you feel...

Comment

Working...
                    X