No announcement yet.

Windows Server Backup causes: Eventid: 157 - disk n has been surprised removed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server Backup causes: Eventid: 157 - disk n has been surprised removed

Backup with Windows Server Backup on a 2012 R2 server to a 1Tb SATA disk fails with:
    • Eventid: 157 - Disk n has been surprise removed.

Which is then followed by many:

• Eventid: 153 - The IO operation at logical block address d90 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000044) was retried.

We have tried enabling 'Disk' event logging but no events are written into the 'Disk' event log at all. How do we get events written into the disk log?

This disk is fine apart from this problem, full chkdsk /r runs with no problem and running a speed/verify test on it for 12 hrs runs fine so not a fault disk problem just something triggered by VSS.

Backing-up to a partition on the main Raid 1+0 array works fine just this 1TbSATA drive that VSS seems to have a problem with.

Any ideas what I can do next to diagnose this further?

Re: Windows Server Backup causes: Eventid: 157 - disk n has been surprised removed

Have you tried downloading and running the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic program? Also, do these errors appear all the time or they limited to a particular time of the day? I ask because I see errors about a corrupt file system on our server which only appear when Windows Backup is creating a copy of the system state.

Have you also had a look at the controller itself to make sure it is functioning properly? Check for firmware updates, and if it uses a battery, make sure the battery status is good.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Re: Windows Server Backup causes: Eventid: 157 - disk n has been surprised removed

I have the same problem and I backup with Veeam Backup and Replication Version 7.
      I have at the moment only this warning Massage but I hope my SQL DBs have no problem in the future.
      If somebody has a solution please let me know.

Comment

Problem only happens when running a Windows Server Backup.

It now seems that the "
        Eventid: 157 - Disk n has been surprise removed" error is a normal server 2012 R2 issue, something which Microsoft have recently introduced.

My bigger problem is the "Eventid: 153 - The IO operation at logical block address d90 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\00000044) was retried" error this is preventing backup from running.

Dell Perc 310 controller has the latest available firmware installed.

I have now moved this drive to a USB enclosure and am testing it out on a different server. All runs fine so it is just something on that particular server causing the problem.

Comment

Have you tried using the drive in a USB enclosure on the original server?
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Update: the drive has now been tested in an HP server and WSB writes to it fine so this suggests it is a problem with the Dell Perc 310 controller card.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
              Have you tried using the drive in a USB enclosure on the original server?
              No not yet but will try that next time I am onsite.

Comment

Working...
              X