design query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• design query

I'm hopeful that someone can validate my theory(s) here.

- site is <10 users. Currently has an aging, single AD03+Ex03 server and an additional physical 2008 LOB Server. Everything is inhouse and the internet connetion is.. 4M/0.7M. While other options are available (up to 6M/6M) they don't have the budget for it.
    The LOB is an Apache web solution. It's always accessed through a web interface, so no CALs are required, except for console administration (which you odn't need a cal for anyway?)

my theory for a new solution is one of the following:

- one physical server, HyperV Server (free)
    -- one x Server 2012 Std with AD, Exchange and 10 cals, backup, mgmt
    -- one x Server 2012 Essentials (downgraded) for LoB
    this requires purchase of 1x S2012Std licence + 1x Exchange Licence + CALs
    (as they are virtual OSE, you can run 2 instances, just downgrade one)

or
    - one physical server - Server 2012 Essentials
    -- one x Linux SME server (no more AD)
    -- one x windows 2012 Essentials server with Apache and DB, and backup software
    requires 1x2012E licence, plus lots of time to reconfigure the entire network.

or
    - one physical server, HyperV Server
    -- one x Windows 2012 Essentials for LoB
    -- one X Windows 2012 Essentials for AD, Mgmt & Backup
    --- With Office 365
    (1x 2012E licence)

ultimately i think it'll come down to their budget and preference, but based on your experience (we all know if I call MS 3 times, I'll get 3 difference answers) does the licensing seem correct ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: design query

Since 2012Std comes with two virtual licenses, this would allow separate Exchange and AD VMs - preferred to keep them separate if possible

So HYperV host (2012Std)
    VM1 - DC
    VM2 - Exchange (both on host license)
    VM3 - LOB (can you P2V the existing one or is license tied to hardware?)

Licenseing: 1 x 2012Std, 1 x Exch, poss VM3

As for MS licensing, it is well known that if you ask three people, you get at least four different answers
    Last edited by Ossian; 6th March 2014, 08:27.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

the existing LoB app is on a server that was running a trial of Server 2008. So, yes, it could be P2V'd as the licence isn't tied to the server.

the way you're proposing - Server 2012 Std as the HyperV host gives 2 virtual OSE licences.. meaning a 3rd would be needed.. which is why i tried to combine AD/Exchange. As the root host then can't do anything but host the guests and management tools

trying to find the cheapest way to do it for them..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Since the environment is so small and its seem like budget is the main issue. I would recommend not to impletment full Exchange there. You will cut down the upfront cost dramatically.

1 phyisical server with Win2k12R2
        -Install SMTP service from MS (free). Use their ISP/domain hoster as mail smart host.
        -Install DC role. I would want to stay away from Linux because MS AD is more user friendly and the owner or one of the employee can manage their AD with a little training from you etc..
        -install LOB

That is my 2 cents

Comment

yea, i'm leaning away from full exchange as well.
          problem is selling them on o365. But we'll see.

and.. i'm sorry, but while I appreciate your help, your other email solution is not a business solution, for any number of reasons.

So it's either Exchange, or Hosted Exchange, or something else like Zafara or Zimbra

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            yea, i'm leaning away from full exchange as well.
            problem is selling them on o365. But we'll see.

and.. i'm sorry, but while I appreciate your help, your other email solution is not a business solution, for any number of reasons.

So it's either Exchange, or Hosted Exchange, or something else like Zafara or Zimbra
            I agreed about Email solution. Without know the business mission, it hard to justify.
            I still recommend to stay away of hosting Exchange. BUT I do agreed on moving to a hosted invironment. They are pretty reasonable price per mailbox. You can get them as cheap as $10 p/m per mailbox.

I don't have experience on o365, and I havent take my time to do a research on that subject matter either. But the question is do they have to move to o365? why can't they stay with the standard office package like office 2013? from your earlier post. It seems like budget is their biggest issue. Would it save extra $$$ if you go with office 2013 instead of o365?

Comment

not upgrading microsoft office...

Office365 is actually hosted Exchange, run by microsoft.

for just a P1 hosted exchange, you're looking at around $7.00 per mailbox per month..
              if you wanted the office suite as well, then i can pay $16.50 per month (or $33 per month)

i'm leaning towards hosted Office365 anyway but i will present several options.

Comment

Working...
              X