No announcement yet.

DHCP Export

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP Export

Hi Everyone

I have primary DC which is Windows Server 2003 x86 which is also DHCP Server.
    I have added ADC which is windows Server 2012 and i am trying to export DHCP which is failing..

on windows server 2003 i exported using the command : netsh dhcp server export c:\dhcp.txt all

on windows server 2012, I have installed DHCP, I have stopped dhcp service, delete the db file and started dhcp service
    i imported using the command : netsh dhcp server import c:\dhcp.txt all ( i tried using command prompt and powershell but it is failing)
    Last edited by risingflight; 3rd March 2014, 19:01.

Re: DHCP Export

Are you getting any messages to indicate why it is failing? Specific error messages would be a good start.

Right click on Powershell or CMD then Run As Administrator.
      and try it again.

Previously just stopping dhcp server service on both servers and copying over de database would work.
        I'm not sure if it works nowadays and it's implications but it's the most easiest way I've used in the past
        Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

.Net 2.0 Framework and Windows Powershell must be installed on Windows 2003 server prior to migration tools being installed.
          On the 2008 R2/2012 server open up Server Mgr
          Add Feature
          Choose Windows Server Migration Tools
          Once installed you need to create install package for the Windows 2003 Server
          Open up a command prompt (Right click and run as administrator)
          Navigate to C:\Windows\system32\ServerMigrationTools
          Type the following “SmigDeploy.exe /package /architecture x86 /os WS03 /path C:\MIG
          Go to the Windows 2003 server. Copy the folder that you just created on the Windows 2008 R2 to the local C drive of the Windows 2003 Server
          Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder you just copied to the C Drive
          Navigate to c:\MIG\SMT_ws03_86\
          Verify SmigDeploy.exe takes you to a Powershell command prompt by typing “SmigDeploy.exe” and press Enter
          Exit/Close out of window
          Migrate DHCP Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 R2
          On windows 2003 server open the windows server migration tools located under administrative tools
          Type “Get-SmigServerFeature” & Press Enter – This will list what features are able to migrate
          Type “Export-SmigServerSetting –FeatureID dhcp –path C:\MIG –verbose” (you can also use a “-ipconfig” switch which will export the NIC settings from the old server. This would be handy if you are using the same IP on the new server and decommissioning the old server)
          Specify a password for the file
          Once the export is complete look at the C:\MIG folder and you should notice a svrmig.mig file. This is the dhcp dB that you just exported. Copy this to the Windows 2008 R2/2012 server (copy to MIG Folder)
          Install DHCP server Role on the Windows 2008 R2/2012 server
          Open up Windows Server Migration Tools on the 2008 R2/2012 Server
          Type “Import-SmigServerSetting –FeatureId DHCP –path C:\mig –verbose -FORCE”
          When prompted type in the password specified before.
          Open up the services on the Windows 2008 R2/2012 and change the start up type to Automatic for DHCP Server
          Go back to the Power Shell command prompt and type “start-service dhcpserver” – this should start dhcp server
          Open up DHCP and verify all leases, reservations, and DHCP settings are correct.
          Auhtorize DHCP.
          Last edited by Yellow Boy; 20th March 2014, 14:34.

Can you please post the site where you go this so it can get the credit it deserves.

I researched the SmigDeploy.exe tool for the correct commands and came up with these step by step instructions to make it easy for my team members to excute for migrations a few years back.