2012 ReFS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 ReFS

Having just built a new server with 2008 R2, I'm not sure this is going to work how I want due to the 2TB restriction and possible issues of GPT.

I need to try and have a single partition (including the OS) using all my RAID 6, which is approx 7.5TB

My question is, anyone here utilising 2012's ReFS because it seems to offer a lot more in terms of stability and reliability?

Thanks

Re: 2012 ReFS

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
    Having just built a new server with 2008 R2, I'm not sure this is going to work how I want due to the 2TB restriction and possible issues of GPT.

I need to try and have a single partition (including the OS) using all my RAID 6, which is approx 7.5TB
    The 2 Tb volume limit follows from the inherent 2 Tb partition limit in the MBR partitioning scheme. There are no issues related to GPT formatted disks, other than the fact that some older systems may have trouble booting from them. The "protective MBR" feature works for some systems, though; I'm booting an old Compaq Proliant ML350 from a 5.4 Tb GPT partitioned RAID array.

Originally posted by marcopolo View Post
    My question is, anyone here utilising 2012's ReFS because it seems to offer a lot more in terms of stability and reliability?
    ReFS is not inherently better than NTFS, just different. It supports ridiculously large volumes and stores data checksums in the file system, which is great, but on the other hand it lacks a number of useful NTFS features, such as guaranteed atomic transactions (TxF) and disk quotas.

Also, you can't boot from a ReFS volume, so installing the OS to a ReFS volume isn't possible.

Comment

Thanks, that's very useful.

Sounds like I'm still going to have to have a 2TB OS/Apps boot partition, but at least the other can utilise to rest with ReFS

One of the issues I came across using the HP Provisioning was although it let me define an initial partition size, it swallowed up a whole 2TB which I could then only reduce to 500gb. This left me with an unallocated 1.5tb and another 5.5tb which I'd like to merge.

Ideally, If I go the 2012 route, I'd prefer an initial 100gb max for OS/Veeam, the rest as one large partition.

Any free tools out there to assist in accomplishing this configuration, even if it means tweaking after 2012 is installed?

Thanks

Comment

GPT disk can support > 2TB disk size. You need to check with your Motherboard BIOS Firmware from the manufacture to make sure it current.

Ideally You should have 2 parttions on a single volume. Create a small partition for your OS/Apps drive. Then the 2nd parttion for your DATA.

I agreed 500GB for OS/Apps is adequate. You shoul able to use Windows disk management to shrink the size for the parttion to 500GB. Then create the free space for 2nd partttion.

Make sure you backup all your Data prior shrinking your disk. And make sure the data on the disk is less than 500GB. if you need to move Data to a different drive for temporary then you should do so.

Comment

Working...
        X