How does Windows see a SAS tape drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Windows see a SAS tape drive

Just wondering how a SAS tape drive appears to server 2012, does windows see it as a tape drive or is it presented as a disk with a drive letter?

Reason I ask is I am trying to find a way of getting a VM in hyper-V communicating with a tape drive in some way.

Re: How does Windows see a SAS tape drive

Originally posted by Nick_C View Post
    Just wondering how a SAS tape drive appears to server 2012, does windows see it as a tape drive or is it presented as a disk with a drive letter?

Reason I ask is I am trying to find a way of getting a VM in hyper-V communicating with a tape drive in some way.
    You can't as far as i'm aware.

Comment

One way would be to export the tape drive as an iSCSI device. I have a Windows VM performing backups to a SAS LTO drive via iSCSI, and it has worked flawlessly for years.

The main challenge will probably be to find a way to export the drive. I don't know if the Microsoft iSCSI target software supports raw devices, but I suspect it doesn't. I put the tape drive in a Linux server and used the iscsi-scst target.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
        One way would be to export the tape drive as an iSCSI device. I have a Windows VM performing backups to a SAS LTO drive via iSCSI, and it has worked flawlessly for years.

The main challenge will probably be to find a way to export the drive. I don't know if the Microsoft iSCSI target software supports raw devices, but I suspect it doesn't. I put the tape drive in a Linux server and used the iscsi-scst target.
        Now thats a very interesting idea, I hadn't thought about mixing windows and Linux iSCSI.

Comment

Working...
        X