Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Logical vs Physical Components have changed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logical vs Physical Components have changed?

Hello All:

In earlier versions of the OS, the logical structure consisted of forests, trees, domains, and OUs. And the Physical Structure included Sites and Domain Controllers. Maybe I am incorrect here?

I am looking at the Microsoft official coursework for the course 20410A Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012. It has Sites listed as a logical component on page 2-3.

Does that make sense to you? If yes, then I assume they would expect sites to be considered logical for exam purposes?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by EddieGray; 14th January 2014, 02:50.

Re: Logical vs Physical Components have changed?

Originally posted by EddieGray View Post
    Hello All:

In earlier versions of the OS, the logical structure consisted of forests, trees, domains, and OUs. And the Physical Structure included Sites and Domain Controllers. Maybe I am incorrect here?

I am looking at the Microsoft official coursework for the course 20410A Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012. It has Sites listed as a logical component on page 2-3.

Does that make sense to you? If yes, then I assume they would expect sites to be considered logical for exam purposes?

Thanks in advance.
    A site does not need to be a physical site.

Think of it like this

Site 1
    Site 2
    Site 3

These could be physical sites

Site 1 - Europe
    Site 2 - Americas
    Site 3 - Oceania

Explains it in its locations.

Or it could be a logical grouping

Site 1 - Purchasing
    Site 2 - Sales
    Site 3 - Service

All these sites could be located in the same building but require to be logged on to a specific server for instance.

Some information here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

Comment

Hello and thanks for your answer.

I can see Example 1 as using Sites. However, it when I see your Example 2 I think of something like OUs. And in the article you linked it says "sites represent the physical structure of your network".

So I am still struggling to see sites as logical.

Thanks.

Comment

A site is simply a container which houses domain controllers. You could have one DC physically located in Europe, one in the Americas and one in Oceania, yet set them up in the same site in Active Directory Sites and Services.

Construction site = physical location
        Active Directory site = logical container

Comment

Working...
        X