Which professional quality antivirus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which professional quality antivirus?

I know this is a bit subjective but just trying to get a feel for which antivirus sits nicely on 2012 servers?

In this case the customer is currently using Symantec on their 2003 server but quite frankly having having that anywhere near their new 2012 server frightens me. This is purely for the server, no need to manage client machines or anything like that.

At the moment I am considering the following but would appreciate any other suggestions: Kaspersky, Bitdefender, F-Secure, Sophos.

Re: Which professional quality antivirus?

I've heard good things about both Bitdefender and Kaspersky, but I've never used either one.

I started using ESET NOD32 7-8 years ago and I've been very happy with it. Catches viruses, doesn't slow down the system, and has a very decent admin console. Prior to that I used Trend for e-mail scanning (which was OK, I guess) and Symantec for endpoint protection (which was a nightmare).

Comment

We use Deep Security on our systems. Integrates well with VM's and physical boxes alike.

Before that we used Trend Server Protect. Old but it done the job.

We have used Kaspersky on our desktops and found it to be a resource hog, could be different on servers.

McAfee MOVE is supposedly not too bad but i heard that from a reseller.

Comment

Any idea about Vipre, I seem to be reading good things about that. Only downside is it has a very small market share which makes it a bit worrying to depend on for server use.

Comment

Same experience with Symantec - let viruses through and was difficult to manage. We have been using Sophos ever since (about 5yrs now) and I am very happy with its performance and ease of use. Also, Sophos Technical Support is, in my experience superb and that is what can make or break software.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

We have a mix of Eset, Kaspersky and Vipre among our clients. I like Eset the best.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I hear good things about Vipre being clean and lightweight but have some concerns about it's performance on av-comparatives.org. Also concerned about whether it really is server quality, it just seems too cheap.

Kaspersky has good AV detection rates but I find some others who have had problems with it on Server 2012.

Eset seems to have has a good loyal following but again is not up with the best when it comes to virus detection rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_C View Post
                Eset seems to have has a good loyal following but again is not up with the best when it comes to virus detection rates.
                That depends on how you measure it.

If you exclude proof-of-concept viruses developes/sent by researchers to/in virus laboratories and concentrate exclusively on viruses that actually exists "in the wild", ESET NOD32 performs quite well.

I've only ever seen one case of malware getting past NOD32, and I've been selling NOD32 to customers for more than 10 years. The malware in question was one of those IE- and desktop-locking ransomware scripts that doesn't require local admin privileges and is usually stopped by UAC on Windows Vista and above.

Comment

Well I had decided on Vipre but now found a drawback: it seems that it needs dot net 3.5 installed which is not there by default in Server 2012 R2.

What about ESet does that have any requirements like requiring dot net to be installed?

Comment

I have many of my clients on Bitdefender hosted endpoint security. I've got no particular issues with it.

i subcontract for a UK based MSP that are steadily rolling out hosted Kaspersky (via Kaseya) to their clients. Also seems fine. Although it can be a bit finicky with RRAS - you need to push out KAV, then install an RRAS patch, then reboot again

I have one client who has Trend Micro small business security or whatever it's called.
                    I'd prefer the above hosted style offerings - Trend requires you to have an onsite server for that package. (Or a hosted one, but yea)
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                    X