Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disk/virtual disk/partition layout of a single 2012 R2 server Hyper-V environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk/virtual disk/partition layout of a single 2012 R2 server Hyper-V environment

Could do with some advice on disk/virtual disk/partition layout of a single 2012 R2 server Hyper-V environment.

My current intention is:
    • Hyper-V on software mirrored pair of SATA drives
    • Everything else on a four disk RAID 1+0 software SAS array

Software RAID10 array for simplicity:
    • Create Storage pool with four SAS drives
    • Create two virtual disks, each mirrored Raid1A & Raid1B
    • Create new Stripped volume in disk manager using these two virtual disks Raid1+0

Now question is how to partition inside the RAID10 array, which will have the following Virtual Disks:
    • Virtual machines
    • Virtual page files if there is any benefit in separating them onto a separate virtual disk
    • User data / profiles
    • Main data
    • Source storage will not benefit from being stripped but may be best to leave it within array for simplicity

One possible complication is Shadow Copies. These seem to be configured per physical partition, not per virtual disk. I also recall reading something about a Domain controller virtual machine turning shadow copies off, is that correct.

If so is there a reason to create separate partitions to contain each of the above virtual disks or just one partition containing all of them?

Thanks,

Re: Disk/virtual disk/partition layout of a single 2012 R2 server Hyper-V environment

OK, dealing with some of your questions (perhaps more after the caffeine has kicked in):

Hardware RAID (if MoBo supported) is a lot more efficient than software RAID

IMHO no particular sense in separate PF drives on the VMs - just set a static sized page file on the C drive. Separate PFs are useful if you have different disk spindles, but in your case all is pointing to the same RAID array.

Again IMHO disable Shadow Copies on the host volume with the VHDs on it, but enable them on the VMs . I have never treated DCs any differently for Shadow Copies

In general, I would have one big partition to hold all the VHDs - your planned setup sounds very like my HV machines (2 Server 2012 boxes, each with a small RAID1 partition for the OS and a big RAID10 for the VMs
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Disk/virtual disk/partition layout of a single 2012 R2 server Hyper-V environment

Thanks for your opinions OssIan.

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Hardware RAID (if MoBo supported) is a lot more efficient than software RAID
      New server not yet purchased so could buy with or without RAID controller. Previously I would always have gone for hardware RAID but I am hearing good things about Windows Storage Spaces. RAID controller has always been a single point of failure. I like the idea that in the event of disaster recovery the drives can simple be moved to a different Windows server without concern for finding the exact same RAID controller. I get the feeling that with modern CPUs there is not so much need for proprietary RAID controllers any more. Do I trust Windows RAID as much as a hardware RAID controller, hmm.. jury is still out on that one.

IMHO no particular sense in separate PF drives on the VMs - just set a static sized page file on the C drive. Separate PFs are useful if you have different disk spindles, but in your case all is pointing to the same RAID array.
      What I should have mentioned but forgot is that we will also have one addition single SATA drive for backups. Part of that could potentially be used as the seperate spindle for VM paging files. Question is whether a single SATA drive, albeit a separate spindle, would be any quicker than having them on the SAS RAID10 array.

Again IMHO disable Shadow Copies on the host volume with the VHDs on it, but enable them on the VMs . I have never treated DCs any differently for Shadow Copies
      Didn't think you could enable them at the VM level, just looked again and you are right virtual disk drive shadow copies can be turned on by the VM. Thanks for pointing that out.

In general, I would have one big partition to hold all the VHDs - your planned setup sounds very like my HV machines (2 Server 2012 boxes, each with a small RAID1 partition for the OS and a big RAID10 for the VMs
      Splendid, looks like I am going in the right direction then. Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Working...
      X