Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Configuration

Hello,

I'm facing a problem with the time on all the client PC's. The network is simple, I have one server running windows server 2012, configured as DC, DHCP and DNS. The time on the domain clients changes automatically to Pacific timezone.

I tried the following command on the DC:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist: (IP of the DC) /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:Yes /update

And from the client PC's

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

All the commands are successfully completed but the time didn't change!!
    Kindly recommend, thank you...

Re: Time Configuration

I think the problem is that you appear to be trying to sync the DC with itself.

You should sync the DC (actually the PDC Emulator FSMO holder if you have multiple DCs) with an external time source (preferably NOT time.microsoft.com as it has not always been reliable) then all other computers with that DC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for the reply,

Actually i tried also to sync with an external time source "ntp1.fabrikam.com" but also didn't work.

Comment

The DC should syncronize with something other than itself, and the client PCs of the domain will alway sync with the DC. If you have any settings in Group Policy which change the default behavior of the clients, or any manual settings applied, take them out. You can find 'zone 2' time servers all over the internet which don't require subscription fees, to use as a time standard for your DC. Set it with a manualpeerlist value to one of those. The clients should sync to that, as far as the minutes/seconds are concerned.

You mentioned 'Pacific Time' as in time zone, not clock time. That's a Region setting, not time. In Group Policy, you can push Regional settings for time zones, currency, etc., to all machines/users.

Time and time zones are 2 different things. Have a look at this page: https://www.google.co.uk/#q=group+po...ional+settings , the first 2 or 3 should answer your questions.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by woudi View Post
          Thank you for the reply,

Actually i tried also to sync with an external time source "ntp1.fabrikam.com" but also didn't work.
          I'm pretty sure fabrikam.com is not real - it is one of the MS training companies.

I use one of the NTP pools: http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you guys for the replies,
            I synchronised the DC with another external time source and the problem has been solved. thank you again..

Comment

Working...
            X