Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Foundation Servers in one Domain

Hello,

I need to install 2 Windows 2012 servers, acting as 2 failover-DHCP servers.
    There will be less than 5 users registered in this domain.

My question is : can I use 2 Foundation versions (each one being a DC) ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Re: Two Foundation Servers in one Domain

Doing some digging on-line, including M-Soft, my answer is 'I have no idea.' Your server PC will be limited to 1 physical CPU chip installed (multiple cores allowed in that chip, at least), only 32Gig of RAM, and NO VMs allowed. The DC option must be installed '...at the root of the domain...', and it sounds like your environment will not have child domains attached, so that's fine. But whether you can have 2 Foundation servers at the root of the same domain as redundancy for each other is something no one seems to approach. With 2008R2 Foundation it sounds like you could, but 2012 searches aren't saying much about it.

I'd recommend you ask your hardware vendor to clarify this with Microsoft before you buy. Licensing can be a real fog bank to navigate thru, best get help.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

The answer is no.

The requirement is not only the root domain but the root domain controller too. Same as SBS.

Must be the root domain controller in a domain that has no trusts at the root of the forest. This condition is temporarily allowed for migrations, but if persistent, the system will be forced to restart.
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../jj679892.aspx

What redundancy are you looking for? You should be able to get that without using foundation as the second DC.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks for the clear answer.

I need DHCP (multi VLAN) redundancy.
        If I cannot have 2 Foundation servers in a domain, can I use them in a Workgroup ?

And I will also need a public shared directory, reachable (and visible) from any VLAN. Do I need to enable WINS ?

Comment

Foundation server needs to be part of a domain. I suppose you could setup each in its own forest and split the scope between the two server.

It seems like a lot of work for 5 users though. Everything you do you'd have to do twice, once on each server, and you'd need a way to synchronize the share you want to setup.

How come you have multiple VLANs for 5 users? How come you need such redundancy for 5 users?

No need for WINS.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

About 5 users will have direct access to the servers, mainly for admin purposes.
            However, the servers must provide IP to 30 customers (changing every day) connected to 8 different VLAN (we are preparing the deployement of a Business Centers, with 8 offices).

We therefore need to have a DHCP highly available (we have spare switches already configured, and dual load-balanced WAN).

Ho will the customers discover the public share of the server, containing the drivers of the printers ? Is DNS sufficient ?

Comment

DNS is sufficient for the share. But providing a share like that sound very insecure. Are you going to validate the computers connecting are clean? If not, one customer could infect another customer through the share.

I would buy Windows Standard, split the DHCP scopes between them and, if you're dead set on providing a share, setup DFS replication and namespace.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The share will be read-only, as it will only contain printer drivers.
                Every customer will be allowed to discover its own VLAN, and the printers shared on the server (+ directories for manual printers installation).

And DNS is sufficient to allow discovery of the server (and its shared) from any other VLAN ?

I will discuss about the use of the standard version, with DFS replication.

Comment

DNS will work as long as you're providing the DNS service for your clients.

Having a read-only directory is more secure.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I the Foundation servers are used in a workgroup (without any domain), can they be DNS servers (with DNS replication of each-other) ?

Comment

Yes - you will need to manually configure the replication, but should be no problems. Ideally have the same account setup on each machine (username and password)
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                      X