3TB drive in Windows2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3TB drive in Windows2012

A brand new USB 3TB drive formatted under win2012 as GPT drive , I created 1 partition.... roughly 3TB. No problem works fine and was able to copy files to it.
    I then bring the drive over to a windows8 PC and plug into USB. It does not display in explorer. In disk management, it shows:

2TB partition healthy (GPT protective partition) and 745GB unallocated space.

I can't access any files in Windows8. I bring it back to the server2012 PC and I see my files and all is fine.

What is happening here?

Thanks

Re: 3TB drive in Windows2012

Originally posted by 4johnny View Post
    I then bring the drive over to a windows8 PC and plug into USB. It does not display in explorer. In disk management, it shows:

2TB partition healthy (GPT protective partition) and 745GB unallocated space.

I can't access any files in Windows8. I bring it back to the server2012 PC and I see my files and all is fine.

What is happening here?
    I can tell you what's happening. When you create a GUID partition table, the first sector on the disk is used to create a "protective MBR". This is really just an old-style MBR partition table with one partition occupying the entire disk or 2 Tb, whichever is smaller. This is done to prevent old disk management tools from thinking the disk is unpartitioned, and it's a part of the GPT standard.

Obviously, the Win8 system reads the protective MBR instead of the GPT, and sees the 2 Tb "protective" partition. An MBR partition cannot be larger than 2 Tb, so the remaining space is reported as "unallocated".

I'm afraid I can't explain why this is happening. I would certainly have thought Windows 8 capable of understanding a GUID partition table with a protective MBR.

Comment

Re: 3TB drive in Windows2012

Only thing I can actually think of, is try updating your drivers on the windows 8 system...
      However, I'm not sure about it either though....
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
      X