Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I unmount a Windows's volume?

Hi folks,

My SAN admin did not use a proper allocation unit for my MS-SQL LUNs ... so I will have to move my databases to a new LUN and then unmount old one and attach the new one to old path.

Do I have to delete the root folder for that? I am getting some weird errors when I try.

Here's what I am doing, someone feel free to correct me:

1.)Shut down MS-SQL, of course
    2.)On disk management, right click old LUN, change path, remove path
    3.)On disk management, right click new LUN, change path from E:\SQL_Data2 to E:\SQL_Data

The idea is change new LUN's path from E:\SQL_Data2 to E:\SQL_Data, unmount old LUN and kill it. But when I'm on step #3, I get no option to mount it there, unless I delete the root folder (SQL_Data) and recreate it. I don't mind doing that, as long as I do not format the actual volume the data is safe, but I really want to understand if that's a normal behavior or not.
    t
    Last edited by sql_lover; 12th November 2013, 19:25.

Re: How can I unmount a Windows's volume?

I guess you're using a mount point, correct?

In step 2 are you removing the mountpoint? You should be able to do that and not lose any data. Once the mount point is removed, anything you do to the folder shouldn't affect the old LUN... but you can offline it just to be safe.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      I guess you're using a mount point, correct?

In step 2 are you removing the mountpoint? You should be able to do that and not lose any data. Once the mount point is removed, anything you do to the folder shouldn't affect the old LUN... but you can offline it just to be safe.
      hey there, thanks for reply.

I was using the GUI and removing the mount point, yes. But after doing that, if I try to attach the new LUN to the existing mount point or folder, I get an error.

I did additional test yesterday using "mountvol" commmand and it worked. But I am curious to know why it does not when using the GUI.

Command line, this is what I did:

Code:
      mountvol E:\SQL_Data2 /d
      mountvol E:\SQL_Data /d
      mountvol E:\SQL_Data \\?\Volume{volume id here, the one that was under E:\SQL_Data2, blah, blah, blah, etc}
      It does not destroy the data, of course, as I am only unmounting. But the third and last step is the one that I can't via GUI.

Comment

Not sure why the GUI is behaving that way.

If you're just changing the name of the folder then after removing the old mountpoint SQL_Data, can you just rename the SQL_Data2 to SQL_Data in Windows Explorer? That's how I change the names of mountpoints.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
          Not sure why the GUI is behaving that way.

If you're just changing the name of the folder then after removing the old mountpoint SQL_Data, can you just rename the SQL_Data2 to SQL_Data in Windows Explorer? That's how I change the names of mountpoints.
          Can I? I mean ... I though that with mountpoints, I need to unmount 1st, before renaming.

For my actual change, following weeks, I will got for the command prompt option, I think it's safer and probably faster.

Via GUI, I will test what you suggested, this way:

-Shutting down SQL
          -Rename E:\SQL_Data to E:\SQL_Data_OLD
          -Rename E:\SQL_Data2 to E:\SQL_Data
          -Start MS-SQL, which will now see the new LUN with new mdf files inside.

If I can do that, that may avoid the unmounting step altogether ...

Comment

Originally posted by sql_lover View Post
            Can I? I mean ... I though that with mountpoints, I need to unmount 1st, before renaming.
            You most certainly can. Makes it nice and easy.

HTH
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X