Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clients cannot route to the internet.

I have a windows server 2012 configured as DC and DHCP that has 2 NIC;
    first interface has IP address: 192.168.1.20 and default gateway is blank connected to the local network.
    second interface has IP address: 192.168.1.105 and gateway is the router IP connected to the router.
    Server is connected to the internet and can browse normaly.
    Routing and remote access is configured on the server.

Clients are not able to ping the second NIC and also are not able to connect to the internet.
    Clients are given IP's by the DHCP normaly and their static default gateway is the 192.168.1.20.
    if i keep the default gateway for clients blank, it's having the ip of the router as default gateway, but also with not internet connection.

kindly help!
    Last edited by woudi; 22nd September 2013, 11:32.

Re: Clients cannot route to the internet.

how, precisely, have you configured RRAS? there's many ways this can be done. are you routing, NATing ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Normally when you have a server acting as a router like this, the NIC which connects to the router is normally on a completely different network than the NIC which talks to the internal clients.

Try changing the IP of the second interface to 192.168.2.2, and also change the router's address to 192.168.2.1 (which will be the default gateway for the second NIC).

Then again, do you absolutely HAVE to have the client traffic going thru your server before it goes out to the internet? Since both NICs on the server have addresses in the same range, it looks like the server doesn't have to be in between the clients and the internet router. As long as the DHCP and DC functions work (where's your DNS, by the way?), your clients can have the same gateway as the server. Give that out in your DHCP scope settings.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Hello and thank you very much for your replies,

Actually yes i need the clients to connect to the internet through the server in order to monitor the traffic and other things as well.

The DNS is also on the same server.
        I tried to put the default gateway of NIC1 the IP of the NIC 2, but it didn't work.
        When i keep the default gateway of NIC1 blank and this how it should be i think, then clients are having the IP of the router as default gateway automatically, but also with no internet connection.

Can you please clarify about the DHCP scope setting?

Comment

Have a read through this

http://www.falconitservices.com/supp...ost.aspx?ID=77

Comment

Hello,

Thank you very much guys, after changing the IP address of the interface connected to the local network, and configuring RRAS as per the link, clients are getting IP's from DHCP and are able to route to the internet . Thank you again...

Comment

Working...
            X