Can't install Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2012 Standard Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't install Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2012 Standard Server

We got out Windows 2012 Standard Servers from Dell but on only one server we need to setup the Hyper-V. First thing I've done is install the Hyper-V and created two VMs. One VM for web server and the other one for database server. Done with setting up our application and the three are able to communicate with each other. After doing the hardening on the two VMs, the setup is still working. But after doing the hardening on physical server, the Hyper-V cannot run the VMs anymore. After trying several solutions found on the internet, I'm still unable to solve the problem. And that's when I decided just to reinstall the Hyper-V. The Hyper-V is uninstalled successfully but got problems installing it back. After adding the feature on the Server Manager, the server will restart. After the first restart, the server will continue the configuration and during that time it will encounter an error and will revert it back. I've tried reversing the hardening but still no luck. When I looked at the event logs, I'm encountering this error "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the vmms service.". Any idea why am I encountering this error and any solutions to this? I'll provide additional information if needed. Thanks.

Re: Can't install Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2012 Standard Server

Originally posted by f4vr View Post
    We got out Windows 2012 Standard Servers from Dell but on only one server we need to setup the Hyper-V. First thing I've done is install the Hyper-V and created two VMs. One VM for web server and the other one for database server. Done with setting up our application and the three are able to communicate with each other. After doing the hardening on the two VMs, the setup is still working. But after doing the hardening on physical server, the Hyper-V cannot run the VMs anymore. After trying several solutions found on the internet, I'm still unable to solve the problem. And that's when I decided just to reinstall the Hyper-V. The Hyper-V is uninstalled successfully but got problems installing it back. After adding the feature on the Server Manager, the server will restart. After the first restart, the server will continue the configuration and during that time it will encounter an error and will revert it back. I've tried reversing the hardening but still no luck. When I looked at the event logs, I'm encountering this error "A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the vmms service.". Any idea why am I encountering this error and any solutions to this? I'll provide additional information if needed. Thanks.
    What was the "hardening" you carried out?

Comment

Windows Hardening. Changing settings on Local Group Policy, Services, Registry, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by f4vr View Post
        Windows Hardening. Changing settings on Local Group Policy, Services, Registry, etc.
        Need to be more specific as it's likely a security feature that is stopping this, did you just use the SCW? Did you take a backup first?
        * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

So you hardened the system and then it fails.
          Well it seems to me that you hardened a bit to much....
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

If you used the SCW (which is what you should have done) you can "reverse" it by running it again and having it "rollback" the previous changes.

Comment

That one I missed. Sorry, it's my first time doing this. Can I reinstall a server with an installer that didn't come from them?

Comment

Given we're still not sure what changes you made, we cannot really help you, just rebuild it scratch and restore your VM's.

And go easy on the hardening this time!

Topper
                * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Seems like that. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X