Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to create a solution for 1.7 lac AD Users and 40000 Exchange Users

Hi,

I want a create solution document for 1.7lac AD Users (Windows 2012 Server) and 4000 Exchange Users(Exchange 2013).

What are the best practices needs to be followed.

How to many Server do i required for AD DS and Exchange and how to do the capacity planning for above solutions.

Regards,
    Sunil Tumma

Re: Want to create a solution for 1.7 lac AD Users and 40000 Exchange Users

Not appropriate for wall of fame so moved to server 2012 forum

Simplest advice is "get a consultant"

What research have you done so far, and what knowledge and experience do you have?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Microsoft provides a formula for total # of procs in your fleet running the CAS role equals N domain controllers. If I can find it I'll post it.

As for you users, I'm not sure what you mean by "1.7lac" - perhaps its lost in translation.... Do you mean 170,000 users? How many computers? Is the domain flat? What are you going to be held to for SLAs? What expectations do the various business units have?

The bigger question is what hardware are you planning on using? You could get away with a handful of powerful domain controllers at that scale, given the correct topology. On the converse, you may be better served with several lightweight virts residing in each site (I have no idea what your topology looks like)...

At that point you have several considerations which wont be answered by a simple "guideline". You need to consider your topology, user density at your sites, fault tolerance/resilience and any number of things.

If I were you, I would start by defining the business requirements, then align your technical requirements to answer for them. In the end, your best bet might be to bring someone onboard for a couple weeks.
      Rules of life:
      1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
      2. Simplicity is godliness
      3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Hi,

The below research done till now for the ADDS and Exchange Solution....

For AD DS Server 2012
        Creating only One Forest.... abc.com
        And creating 7 additional DCs of abc.com in the same forest.
        Considering
        Windows Server 2012
        Component Estimates
        Storage/Database Size 40KB to 60KB for each user
        RAM Database Size
        Base operating system recommendations
        Third-party applications

Network 1 GB
        CPU 1000 concurrent users for each core

Server Configuration 8 Cores 16GB RAM x 2 Servers (Physical Servers)
        4 Cores 8GB RAM x 6 Servers (VMs)

In DC (Intra Site Replication) RPC over IP
        DC to DR (Inter Site Replication) RPC/SMTP over IP

For Exchange
        Considering 100MB mailbox size per user for 40000 mail boxes...
        Per Milbox Server will have 7.2 TB storage
        Server Configuration
        Mailbox Servers with 16 Core and 32GB RAM x 5 (Physical Servers)
        CAS Servers with 4 Core and 16GB RAM x 3 (VM) on One Physical Server

And Still searching......

Required your inputs for the above solution....

Regards,
        Sunil Tumma

Comment

100 Mb mail box per user is very small - check current usage but my experience has always been much larger -- Exchange's default is 2Gb per user which should give you a clue. You may also want to consider virtualising your mailbox roles to make it much easier to upgrade in the future, even if it is one VM per physical server. Also you will need to consider a distributed Exchange environment to serve that many users across multiple sites (see below)
          Can you also clarify if it is 4000 (original post) or 40,000 (later post) Exchange users?

You will need to consider sites and intersite connections before you plan your DCs -- for 170,000 users (if that is correct) I assume we are not talking about a single site and given those numbers I would want multiple DCs per site.

Have you considered backups and disaster recovery -- critical in the size of environment you are talking about?

Personally, I think you have pulled some specs out of thin air, with no real thought behind them, and no analysis of your actual environment. This is why every response to your thread has recommended consultancy. If this is a real project, your budget will (should) cover this and it will save you a heck of a lot of money in the long run. If, as I am beginning to suspect, this is some sort of abstract exercise (for a university course, perhaps) please say so.
          Last edited by Ossian; 1st August 2013, 08:33.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            100 Mb mail box per user is very small - check current usage but my experience has always been much larger -- Exchange's default is 2Gb per user which should give you a clue. You may also want to consider virtualising your mailbox roles to make it much easier to upgrade in the future, even if it is one VM per physical server. Also you will need to consider a distributed Exchange environment to serve that many users across multiple sites (see below)
            Can you also clarify if it is 4000 (original post) or 40,000 (later post) Exchange users?

You will need to consider sites and intersite connections before you plan your DCs -- for 170,000 users (if that is correct) I assume we are not talking about a single site and given those numbers I would want multiple DCs per site.

Have you considered backups and disaster recovery -- critical in the size of environment you are talking about?

Personally, I think you have pulled some specs out of thin air, with no real thought behind them, and no analysis of your actual environment. This is why every response to your thread has recommended consultancy. If this is a real project, your budget will (should) cover this and it will save you a heck of a lot of money in the long run. If, as I am beginning to suspect, this is some sort of abstract exercise (for a university course, perhaps) please say so.
            A lac is 1 million so the user is talking about 1.7 million users.

MS do an AD Sizer that could help you

http://www.petri.com/active_directory_sizer_tool.htm#

From the 2000 days but may help.

There is also this

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc961779.aspx

Time for a proper AD architect I would say.
            Last edited by wullieb1; 1st August 2013, 11:29.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              A lac is 1 million so the user is talking about 1.7 million users.
              I believe a lac/lakh is 100,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Olmy View Post
                I believe a lac/lakh is 100,000.
                Ha ha according to this, which is where I got my information from, a Lac is 1 million

http://www.goanlife.com/rupees_explained/

It is referring to currency but I would presume that it is the same.

I'll find out for definite later as I've asked one of the chaps in our Indian office.

Forgot we had an Indain chap here in our office, whoops.

He has confirmed that it is actually 0.17 million or 170,000.

Sorry for any confusion guys/girls.
                Last edited by wullieb1; 2nd August 2013, 00:09.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs.

To be frank, we have received the requirement from one our customer and i want to design a solution for 170,000 AD Users and 40,000 Exchange Users and This is the fresh requirement.

The Customer require 100 MB per mailbox size and need a solution on a Centralized Location.

And we also we want to consider the backup and recovery.

Regards,
                  Sunil Tumma

Comment

OK, so we are getting somewhere. This is now a centralised (data centre?) AD with a single site, supporting 170,000 users (and are you/they making plans for growth?)

The customer hasn't got a clue about mailbox size and one of your jobs will be to change their thinking, probably by doing an analysis of existing PST sizes and daily amounts of email.

Have you determined the versions of Server and Exchange you will be using?

And what are your thoughts about the backup and recovery - presumably you already have some?

Since you are now (apparently) providing a service for someone else, you have even more reasons to get it right, so GET A CONSULTANT IN FROM THE BEGINNING.
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

OK, so we are getting somewhere. This is now a centralised (data centre?) AD with a single site, supporting 170,000 users (and are you/they making plans for growth?)

The customer hasn't got a clue about mailbox size and one of your jobs will be to change their thinking, probably by doing an analysis of existing PST sizes and daily amounts of email.

Have you determined the versions of Server and Exchange you will be using?

And what are your thoughts about the backup and recovery - presumably you already have some?

Since you are now (apparently) providing a service for someone else, you have even more reasons to get it right, so GET A CONSULTANT IN FROM THE BEGINNING.
                      Yes, customer requires a Centralized Solution. We will be using Windows Server 2012 For ADDS and Exchange Server 2013.

For Backup and Recovery We will be proposing the EMC Backup Solutions.

Comment

(Sigh) This is like pulling teeth -- you provide brief, general answers to questions you are asked and seem unwilling to show any evidence of thought or planning yourself, let alone going into any more detail

Backup and recovery (to take one example) is far more than "we are going to use xxx solution" There is so much more to consider (and no, I am not going to draw up a list of requirements - that should be your job)

Lets go right up to the top and start with some basic questions - in no particular order:

1) Do you have a timescale?
                        2) Do you have a budget?
                        3) Do you have a project manager and any other IT staff you can call on?
                        4) Do you have any other requirements from the customer (for example SLAs)?
                        5) What is your role in the project, and your position in the company you work for?
                        6) What training and experience do you have to work on a project of this size?
                        7) Are you speaking to Microsoft to see what help they can give (for the anticipated licensing costs, they should be falling over to help you)?

Others will no doubt add their own questions, and once we have answers, some more focussed help might be forthcoming
                        Last edited by Ossian; 2nd August 2013, 12:13.
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Do yourself a favor and get the business requirements before you do anything else... it all starts with their requirements, then you can design to meet their expectations. This sounds like a significant project and my apologies for any offense but you sound a bit out of your league. Get a consultant. The customer will think no less of you and will appreciate thee dilligence on your part...

My $0.02
                          Rules of life:
                          1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
                          2. Simplicity is godliness
                          3. Scale with extreme prejudice

I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

Comment

Working...
                          X