Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade Domain Controller from Windows server 2003 R2 to Windows Server 2008 or 2012

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Domain Controller from Windows server 2003 R2 to Windows Server 2008 or 2012

Hello,

Our organization is currently running on Windows Server 2003 R2 where AD,DNS,DHCP ,WSUS e.t.c services are running.

The domain fuctional level is windows 2000 mixed & a forest functional level of windows 2000.

Now,are there any precautions or procedures i should take before running the CD .

?
    attached picture of the functional level

Rgds
    Attached Files

Re: Upgrade Domain Controller from Windows server 2003 R2 to Windows Server 2008 or 2

Originally posted by pope View Post
    Hello,

Our organization is currently running on Windows Server 2003 R2 where AD,DNS,DHCP ,WSUS e.t.c services are running.

The domain fuctional level is windows 2000 mixed & a forest functional level of windows 2000.

Now,are there any precautions or procedures i should take before running the CD .

?
    attached picture of the functional level

Rgds
    Upgrade Schema.
    Install new hardware, presuming your 2003 is 32 bit.
    Install Server 2008 R2
    Transfer services to Server 2008 R2.

Server 2012 forest cannot be upgraded to from a Server 2003 Environment.

Please see here for more information.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../hh994618.aspx

Comment

Re: Upgrade Domain Controller from Windows server 2003 R2 to Windows Server 2008 or 2

how to i upgrade schema?
      my hardware can support 64 bit..so am not changing the physical server...
      what are these services that i need to transfer to the new windows server 2008 ?

Lets say we decide to upgrade to windows server 2012.. from my current 2003 environment..

kindly guide me on how the above can be achieved?

Comment

Please don't be offended at this, but you may be best getting a consultant in for a couple of days and performing the migration, as well as training you up a bit.
        There are too many unknowns for forum advice to be accurate

Are you introducing a new DC, or upgrading your existing machine -- I strongly suggest you do the former
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

As the IT in charge,suggesting to get a consultant would send me packing home....

I am just upgrading the existing machine.

What i need to know is this..

i thought all i have to do was raise the functional level to windows server 2003 since its currently 2000..

carry out adprep/forestprep and domain prep..then run the windows server 2008/2012 disk and select upgrade as the installation option.

Comment

I don't know why suggesting consultancy would cause such a reaction, but you know your bosses....

You have the general procedure right, but you have no security if anything goes wrong - a failure to upgrade would leave you completely without AD
            I would recommend:
            Raise DFL/FFL
            Create a "swing" DC with 2008R2 (on any spare 64-bit hardware, and not activating Windows as it will be temporary)
            Confirm AD has replicated
            Consider demoting the current DC before upgrading, and even better, doing a fresh install
            Let AD replicate back
            Decommission the "swing" DC

Obviously have good backups as well so you have a failback plan if needed
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can't do an in place upgrade unless your current OS is 64 bit.

If it is then this is the process.

BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS PROCEDURE ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE BACKUPS AND CAN SUCCESSFULLY RESTORE

1. Upgrade the schema using adprep32.exe on the Server 2008 R2 CD.
              2. Upgrade the OS using the Server 2008 R2 CD.
              3. Make sure OS is working and clients are being serviced.
              4. Upgrade the FFL/DFL.
              5. If happy then insert the Server 2012 CD into the tray.
              6. Upgrade the OS from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012.
              7. Upgrade the FFL/DFL as required.
              8. Test, test then test some more.

If your OS is NOT x64 then you SOL. You will need to do as Tom Suggested or purchase new hardware.

Surely as the "IT in charge" you should be aware of these procedures. What training have you had where you have been able to gain employment in the IT sector? The steps to do what we have told you are pretty basic IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                I don't know why suggesting consultancy would cause such a reaction, but you know your bosses....

You have the general procedure right, but you have no security if anything goes wrong - a failure to upgrade would leave you completely without AD
                I would recommend:
                Raise DFL/FFL
                Create a "swing" DC with 2008R2 (on any spare 64-bit hardware, and not activating Windows as it will be temporary)
                Confirm AD has replicated
                Consider demoting the current DC before upgrading, and even better, doing a fresh install
                Let AD replicate back
                Decommission the "swing" DC

Obviously have good backups as well so you have a fail-back plan if needed

Thanks Tom.

Just a quick clarification...Will replication occur between the new "swing" DC with 2008 R2 whilst my current OS is windows server 2003..

If so...this is what i need to do
                -backup system state of the current DC.
                -Raise Functional & Domain level from the current Windows server 2000 to server 2003..
                -Install server 2008 R2 on a any PC that supports 64 bit.
                -Make it a CG and ensure replication occurs between the two DC.
                -Do a fresh install again of server 2008 R2 or demote it and then run windows server 2008.
                -Let AD replicate back after install all the roles i require.
                -Decommission the swing PC
                -
                any step i might be missing?

Comment

Replication will occur (how else do you think people upgrade domains?)

Obviously consider DNS, DHCP etc -- you picked up on GCs

Remember to schedule possible downtime for users

Main thing is to plan it out and if you can do a PoC environment (while technet subs still exist ) -- the sort of things a good consultant would do
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                    You can't do an in place upgrade unless your current OS is 64 bit.

If it is then this is the process.

BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS PROCEDURE ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE BACKUPS AND CAN SUCCESSFULLY RESTORE

1. Upgrade the schema using adprep32.exe on the Server 2008 R2 CD.
                    2. Upgrade the OS using the Server 2008 R2 CD.
                    3. Make sure OS is working and clients are being serviced.
                    4. Upgrade the FFL/DFL.
                    5. If happy then insert the Server 2012 CD into the tray.
                    6. Upgrade the OS from Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012.
                    7. Upgrade the FFL/DFL as required.
                    8. Test, test then test some more.

If your OS is NOT x64 then you SOL. You will need to do as Tom Suggested or purchase new hardware.

Thanks

I thought its possible to upgrade from server 2003 to Server 2012 provided the minimum functional level must be at least Windows Server 2003....

without necessarily having to install server 2008.....

right?

Comment

Thanks

I thought its possible to upgrade from server 2003 to Server 2012 provided the minimum functional level must be at least Windows Server 2003....

without necessarily having to install server 2008.....

right?
                      It is supported yes.

Big jump from 2003 servers to 2012 servers.

Comment

It is supported yes.

Big jump from 2003 servers to 2012 servers.
                        Yeah..Big jump for sure..Worth the effort though....

still planning though

Comment

Yeah..Big jump for sure..Worth the effort though....

still planning though
                          What benefits does jumping straight to 2012 offer you??

Comment

What benefits does jumping straight to 2012 offer you??
                            just

Comment

just
                              I don't need to Google.

I want you to tell me what benefits moving to Server 2012 brings to your organisation.

Comment

Working...
                              X