Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After transfering FSMO roles from DC to ADC, ADC still depends on DC.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After transfering FSMO roles from DC to ADC, ADC still depends on DC.

Hi in our office we have set up a new domain on windows server 2012 Evaluation version.
    Now i want to upgrade it to full retail version, but came to know that a domain server cannot be upgraded to full version.

After searching on internet most of them suggested to

1.Install a Addition Domain Controller
    2.Then transfer FSMO roles to ADC
    3.And re install 2012 server on main DC & then activate it to full version
    4.After that install Domain services in it & Transfer FSMO roles from temp DC.

I have followed the same first installed a temp DC made it to ADC and transfered all FSMO roles to temp DC, all roles were transfered sucessfully without any errors & all FSMO roles showing that current holder of roles is temp DC.

So to cross check i have shutdown main DC and tried to open AD users and computers on temp DC but it is giving error that domain controller is unavailable .
    but when i switch on the main DC i can open AD users and computers on temp DC without any errors,
    some how the temp DC is still depending on main DC.

Please Help me

Re: After transfering FSMO roles from DC to ADC, ADC still depends on DC.

Shutting down a DC will not simulate removal.
    On the ADC, check you can connect to it in ADUC
    Check clients have got ADC for DNS etc.
    Demote original main DC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X