Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDP password prompt

Hi

I've just installed Windows Server Standard 2012 on a new machine.

Install went OK, joined to the domain OK. Allowed Remote Desktop and specifically added the domain administrator to the list of allowed remote users.

When I connect to the server via RDP and select the domain admin account this is what I see:

There is no option to enter a password. We do not, and have never used Smartcards.

If I go back and choose Other User and type domain\administrator, the password prompt appears.

This is rather confusing. Does anyone know how I can configure the server so that the password prompt appears when selecting the Administrator account, please?

Thanks!
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: RDP password prompt

I think the account you show in the picture is the LOCAL administrator (the \administrator suggests a domain is not involved)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for replying, Ossian. I used a clone tool to remove the domain name.

Comment

Do you have a smart card on the system that you are connecting from?

If so remove it from the RDP session and retry.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Do you have a smart card on the system that you are connecting from?

If so remove it from the RDP session and retry.
          Thanks, but we've never used smart cards and don't have anything that could read one.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
            Thanks, but we've never used smart cards and don't have anything that could read one.
            Almost all business laptops that I've seen, Dell, come with smartcards built in to them.

What type of RDP session is this? Is it an admin session of a TS session?

Comment

I've actually seen this quite a bit on servers that belong to clients of one my clients.. (confused ? :P)

we use an RMM product to connect via RDP - and with the 2012, it always comes up for the accounts already logged on and says smartcard as well..
              definitely no smartcard module in my laptop

i don't have a solution sorry :/
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Almost all business laptops that I've seen, Dell, come with smartcards built in to them.

What type of RDP session is this? Is it an admin session of a TS session?
                Thanks folks.

This is a classic Remote desktop session - the equivalent of starting Remote Desktop from the start menu except I use a Remote Desktop mmc with a list of servers. I'm the only person who connects via Remote Desktop.

I'm using a Precision Desktop, not a laptop, and there's definitely no smartcard socket.

It's not a big problem. It's pretty typical of my experience of 2012 so far - getting to everything takes longer and more clicks...

Comment

Thanks folks.

This is a classic Remote desktop session - the equivalent of starting Remote Desktop from the start menu except I use a Remote Desktop mmc with a list of servers. I'm the only person who connects via Remote Desktop.

I'm using a Precision Desktop, not a laptop, and there's definitely no smartcard socket.

It's not a big problem. It's pretty typical of my experience of 2012 so far - getting to everything takes longer and more clicks...
                  IMHO Start to use the Server Manager and add the server to the console. You can pretty much do everything you need to from there.

I'll have a little play later but I do not get prompted for a smart card when connecting to a 2012 box from a windows 8 client. Wondering if this is something unique to using Remote Desktops??

***UPDATE***

I have setup a small VM lab consisting of the following

1 * Server 2012 Datacenter, Typical setup in VMware Workstation
                  1 * Windows 8 Enterprise, Typical setup in VMware Workstation
                  1 * Windows 7 Ultimate, Typical setup in VMware Workstation

When I connect from the Windows 8 box I get prompted for my user name and password and when entered I get logged straight in.

When I connect from the Windows 7 box I get prompted for my user name and password and when entered I get logged straight in.

I have tried with the check box for NLA Authentication enabled and both logon exactly as I would expect without the smart card being requested.
                  Last edited by wullieb1; 15th June 2013, 09:27.

Comment

Thanks a lot for looking into this. I'll experiment myself with different ways to connect and I'll keep you updated.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks a lot for looking into this. I'll experiment myself with different ways to connect and I'll keep you updated.

Cheers!
                      What hardware is the server on?

Is there a possibility, slight I know, that there is a smart card attached to the server?

Comment

What hardware is the server on?

Is there a possibility, slight I know, that there is a smart card attached to the server?
                        You know, I don't know... This is a brand new server. I'll have a proper look at it when I return to work. Thanks!

Comment

[...]

When I connect to the server via RDP and select the domain admin account this is what I see:

[IMG]http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3720/nopassword.jpg[/IMG]

[...]
                          If I go back [ ˂― ] and choose Other User and type domain\administrator, the password prompt appears.
                          So after doing this extra mouse clicks you actually can log in via rpd. The behavior is caused most likely by something that is on the side of the client.
                          Try to connect from a client with at least Windows 7 SP1 pro and has the latest MS RDP Client installed.

Has the client a smartcard reader or fingerprint reader?

/Rems

EDIT
                          hmm. Something I found here that might be worth trying;
                          “When you try to RDP to a Windows Server 2012 you see a message 'Insert smart card' instead of a logon page where you can type a password.”
                          • To fix the issue: Log on locally with Administrator credentials. Remove the profile of the user who tries to log in via RDP. Try to RDP again to recreate the profile.
                          • Possible explanation: It looks like the issue occurres only if you logged with your account locally first. Account with profile created during RDP session are not affected"

_
                          Last edited by Rems; 17th June 2013, 11:35.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
                            So after doing this extra mouse clicks you actually can log in via rpd. The behavior is caused most likely by something that is on the side of the client.
                            Try to connect from a client with at least Windows 7 SP1 pro and has the latest MS RDP Client installed.

Has the client a smartcard reader or fingerprint reader?

/Rems

EDIT
                            hmm. Something I found here that might be worth trying;
                            “When you try to RDP to a Windows Server 2012 you see a message 'Insert smart card' instead of a logon page where you can type a password.”
                            • To fix the issue: Log on locally with Administrator credentials. Remove the profile of the user who tries to log in via RDP. Try to RDP again to recreate the profile.
                            • Possible explanation: It looks like the issue occurres only if you logged with your account locally first. Account with profile created during RDP session are not affected"

_
                            Thanks.

I downloaded RSAT for Win7, installed it then added Remote Desktops via the 'Turn Winsows features on or off' utility. Although this makes an mmc dedicated console available, login is not via the snap-in screen but via a dialog box (as is usually seen when choosing Remote Desktop Connection via the Start menu). Thus, a login screen is not displayed. The dialog simply prompts for the password.

I have also had a good look at the server and it does not contain a socket for a smart card.

Thanks for the link as well - I only ever use the domain administrator account to log-on to the servers.

According to services.msc the smartcard service is disabled on the server. Also, my PC, the Precision, definitely does not have a smartcard reader attached/built-in.

The hardware is a Dell PowerEdge R210 II

Comment

Me also tried this above given stuff , but this did not work for me
                              Last edited by noshi15; 18th June 2013, 14:00.

Comment

Working...
                              X