Setting Windows Time Server for a WS12 DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Windows Time Server for a WS12 DC

I used c:\>ws32tm /config /manualpeerlist:"nameoftimeserver.com" /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update

at a command-line on a WS12 DC. When I look at the registry under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Par ameters, the "Type" key indicates NT5DS, which, I believe, means that the system will continue to look to itself (i.e. its own internal motherboard clock) for time sync. Since this is the PDC role-holder for the domain, our workstations/servers continue to be a couple of minutes off when compared to the rest of the world.

Is there any harm in changing this to NTP, thus making the system look to the nameoftimeserver.com time server on the Internet?
    Best regards,
    Jim Graue, MCP (WXP, WS03)

Re: Setting Windows Time Server for a WS12 DC

Document the existing setting prior to changing it should you require failback and providing Domain Clients are synching with the PDC role holder, this shouldn't cause an issue especially as you are only a couple of minutes out.

Comment

If you're using a DNS name for the time server, your command should inlcude a couple of extra characters, thus (without the brackets):
      [w32tm /config /syncfromflags:MANUAL /manualpeerlist:"nameoftimeserver.com,0x1" /reliable:YES /update]

Without the 0x1, it won't accept the name you give. If you put in just an IP address, you don't need the 0x1.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

@RicklesP - I used the cmd you suggested and got good results. However, nothing in the registry changed except that "type" changed to NTP. I could have made the change in the registry, stopped and started time service, and would have been good-to-go. Thanks for the input, all.
        Best regards,
        Jim Graue, MCP (WXP, WS03)

Comment

You're more than welcome, and yes, you could have changed the type to NTP, but it still wouldn't have worked correctly without those extra characters. It has to do with the time source being listed as a DNS entry, vs putting in a dedicated IP that you know.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X