X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About KMS and WSUS

Hi, Everyone.

I have question about KMS AND WSUS,

I'vgot Windows Server 2012 With WDS install with Images WIN7 and Office 2010 installed on the image before sysprep so after i dont have any serials activations also in the Windows 7.

So my question is if there is a way to deploy Serials and Activation to the windows and to the Office 2010?

I know there is option but i dont remmber witch.

And i remmber something from the GPO can be possible so if can someone

bring me the best way to deploy that gonna be awesome

Best Regards,
    sWimex

Re: About KMS and WSUS

KMS and WSUS aren't related to each other. WSUS has nothing to do with licensing and activation.

Comment

Swimex, you're talking about 3 different things running under Windows Server: WDS, KMS and WSUS. Forgive the long-winded answer below, but once I got started, I couldn't help but lecture a little. Your original question sounded as if you're a little unsure, so I wanted to help clear it up.

WDS (Windows Deployment Service) is how you deploy operating system images to client devices. Your images may include any software you want over and above the client's operating system (i.e. Office, Java, Adobe Reader.) Licensing and updating are done later. Group Policy application is also done later, after a successful deployment. If you don't include some application as part of the deployment image, you can manage automated deployment of THAT application later, through Group Policy or some other method.

KMS (Key Management Service) is how you legally license the Microsoft applications you have to pay for (Windows Server, Windows XP/7/8, Office). It doesn't work for any other vendors (to my knowledge), but requires an on-line or telephone activation of the KMS server role itself. Once KMS is activated, new client OS deployments or Office deployments will auto-activate against the KMS server. It's up to you to track how many such licenses have been passed out, and whether you've paid for that many with Microsoft. You have to activate Win 7 and Office 2010, but you don't have to do it thru the internet or over the phone, KMS will handle that for you if it's set up (verify DNS and friewall settings). Group Policy has nothing to do with KMS, either.

WSUS (Windows Server Update Service) is how you apply patches/hotfixes/service packs to your installed, licensed MS software. How the updates are applied (manually or automatically) is governed through Group Policy. WSUS doesn't care if your MS software is licensed, just if a particular patch is needed by a known client, and approved for install by you.

In all cases, there are tons of reference docs available through Microsoft's Technet library, which is free and on-line. All of these functions are independant of each other, and none have to be on the same server as any other. In my environment, KMS is hosted on a DC, while WDS and WSUS are hosted on a single server alongside other back-end maintenance actions (enterprise event logging, anti-virus server, etc.)
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Most easy way is run these commands as a batch file. Depending on how you deplpy your images you should be able to add it as an additional task sequence. Just change the xxx parts to your product keys.

Windows 7 Activation

c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
        c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

Office 2010

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
        "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /act
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Many thanks for your'e HELP!!
          RicklesP and uk_network

Comment

Originally posted by uk_network View Post
            Most easy way is run these commands as a batch file. Depending on how you deplpy your images you should be able to add it as an additional task sequence. Just change the xxx parts to your product keys.

Windows 7 Activation

Office 2010

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\ospp.vbs" /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

so i dont need KMS if i change the ospp and slmgr?
            how its done..?

Comment

let me understand something... i need to install on the my DC KMS TOOL
              then work with the command prompt ?

Windows 7 Activation

Office 2010

Comment

Hi, just deploy a test machine with win7 and office unactivated, run those commands and check if windows/office is activated, you don't need any additional software or config. You can just copy the below commands into a batch file. Or add them to a task sequence. Then check on the deployed machine if all is activated.

REM==================Windows 7 Activation===================
                REM==================Office 2010===========================
                REM===================END OF FILE=========================
                Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

The command line tools are for installing yor own license key onto the KMS server, and then activating it. Once that's done, and you've verified the DNS and firewall settings on that server, you're done with that side of it.

The client installs for Windows OS and Office come as different kinds of ISO images from MS. If you get the ISOs/installs meant for non-OEM installs, they should try to register/activate with your KMS server right out of the box (that's why you want to verify the DNS entry for your new KMS server!)
                  *RicklesP*
                  MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

uk_network, says that only i have to do is to run the commands from the root DC then the windows 7 and the office 2010 clients got activated after only but only run this command i understand him correctly? .... because RicklesP says something Als... he says that i need to install the KMS and after that to run the command you gave me.

I cant do anything right now im at home... so i need the help to work on it when i come to the office.... :/ thanks and if i wrong in something sorry.. thats confused me.

Alot of thanks !
                    swimex

Comment

Also can i work with gpo?

REM==================Windows 7 Activation===================
                      REM==================Office 2010===========================
                      REM===================END OF FILE=========================

Comment

Working...
                      X