Migrating from WS03 DCs to WS12 DC with DFL/FFL WS08R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating from WS03 DCs to WS12 DC with DFL/FFL WS08R2

We currently have 3 DCs running WS03, all at DFL/FFL WS03. We've installed WS08R2 member servers, one of which is running Exchange 2010 SP1. We've installed one WS12 member server that we would like to promote to DC with DFL/FFL WS08R2, then promote at least one other WS08R2 system to DC, as well. Everything I've read says that, once certain procedures have been performed (testing with dcdiag, repadmin, backup AD, test restore and restore-mode logon/pw), promotion of the WS12 system would make it the primary DC to which FSMO roles would be moved. We would then demote the WS03 DCs, I guess, one at a time. Or, should we demote two of the three DCs, first, then promote the WS12 system to DC? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Best regards,
    Jim Graue, MCP (WXP, WS03)

Re: Migrating from WS03 DCs to WS12 DC with DFL/FFL WS08R2

Its really up to you whether you demote two existing DCs and then promote the 2012 box or not -- advantage is that FSMOs will move to the remaining 2003 and then automatically to the 2012 when you demote the last 2003 (FSMOs will not move automatically to a DC unless their holder is demoted)

Disadvantage is you lose DC redundancy while you are doing this...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Migrating from WS03 DCs to WS12 DC with DFL/FFL WS08R2

Thanks, Ossian. I listened, and changed the order I did things to ensure redundancy every step of the way. I moved FSMOs using ntdsutil. For the most part, it was a smooth transition. I'll wait just a bit before raising the DFL\FFL to WS08R2, but that event won't be a problem from what I understand. So, we're running WS12 on a DC (iron) and WS08R2 on another DC (VM). Life's been good to me, so far.
      Best regards,
      Jim Graue, MCP (WXP, WS03)

Comment

Working...
      X