Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server did not finish checking the license compliance

Hi,

I can find some information on this error but this server is a Workgroup server and is not connected to a domain at all, so everything I can find on Google relates to Domains so does not apply.

The error is: The server did not finish checking the license compliance. If the server is joined to a domain, make sure that the server can connect to a domain controller. If the license compliant check cannot be completed, the server will automatically shut down in... (and then it says how many days or hours depending).

It gives this error every so often, perhaps an hour apart, sometimes every few seconds.

This is a Server 2012 Foundation Edition server, Windows has been activated and there are very few local user accounts - apart from the built in ones, I have added just two users. There are two client PCs connected to this server and it is acting only as a fileserver so has no DHCP nor DNS roles installed.

This server is being shipped now so it is currently packed up in boxes and I have been asked to investigate what to do about this error so that it can be fixed when the server is (eventually) plugged in. Has anyone met this on a Workgroup server?
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Re: server did not finish checking the license compliance

use slmgr to check the status of it all. Maybe it's configured for KMS when you don't have one and need MAK?
    Mayube the licence hasn't actually been activated?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks tehcamel, I'll use SLMGR -DLV to get more info on the licence, which was a single retail item (not bought through VLSC). And I'll look up other slmgr commands to see what's useful. Computer > Properties says Windows has been activated, I could try activating it again, I suppose.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.

Comment

I used slmgr to verify the server is 100% completely licensed and activated, and the error message did not appear again for a long time, but now it is saying the same thing, except that it will shut down in 9 days.

How can I stop the server from (wrongly) issuing this error message?
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.

Comment

Hi, I am experiencing this exact problem. The server is not connected to a domain controller and is on the default WORKGROUP. Did you ever resolve this PaulH?

Comment

Hi d_sl_1,

No I never did get a resolution, except the problem went away.

I had delivered the server to the customer's head office and it was temporarily plugged in (standalone, not connected to their LAN) just to check it was working before shipping to a remote location. The error appeared at the head office but once it had been shipped to its final workplace, the error went away and has not come back since.

If you're luckier and have the server under your supervision for a while, you can keep an eye on this and see if the problem goes away.

But do please come back to this thread if there's anything useful to add because at the moment it's still a puzzle!
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.

Comment

Hi PaulH,

Thanks for getting back.

Unfortunately its the reverse for us. The server was fine in our office, then the messages started once the server was out on site in production.

The only difference I can see is that once on site it was given a static ip address, and the DNS address was left blank. I'm wondering if its the lack of a DNS server that is causing the misreported errors.

I have also posted my problem on microsofts technet foums. (sorry I cannot provide a direct link yet as I dont have enough posts)

h t t p : / / social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/91cff3b4-0cd0-4264-875b-aaeb5c231d06/windows-server-2012-foundation-in-a-workgroup-the-server-did-not-finish-checking-the-license

Comment

Can the server access the Internet? I wonder if there's some phone home stuff it uses for activation... maybe give it a DNS server and allow it to contact Microsoft and see if the problem goes away.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                X