Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2012 DC and XP compatibility

Good day

I am in a catch twenty two situation between upgrading my new server to 2012 or staying with server 2008

I still use XP Pro computers on my current domain and would like to know if it is possible to setup a server2012 DC and be able to connect XP Pro pc's onto the domain?

Just in general, what are your feelings towards server 2012 std? Good or bad

thanks so much

Re: Server 2012 DC and XP compatibility

XP isn't an issue on 2008 R2 (are you R2?) or 2012 DCs.
    Why are you in a catch 22?
    Is there a need for you to upgrade for a specific reason?
    2012 is perfectly fine as is 2008 R2
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

HI Andy

What i mean by catch 22, i cannot make up my mind. So therefore just fishing out from the IT community on their views of server 2012.

So what you are saying is that if i setup a server2012 DC with forest functional level of 2012 i can still join XP pc's to that domain without problems?

I am planning on putting in a new server domain controller and my environment still has XP pc's aswell as windows 7 pc's

thanks Andy

Comment

Yep although to have forest functional level then you can't have anything other than 2012 DCs there. The support matrix suggested 2015 before 2008R2 is out of mainstream support so you have a little time to play before then. If there are specific things you need that 2012 offers then no problem with looking at the upgrade now but if you have other urgent stuff that needs doing then you can probably look at that first I would think.
        We still have one 2003 DC at time of writing which I'm getting rid of soon to go to 2008 R2!

Client support:
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../hh994618.aspx

The following Windows client and Windows Server operating systems are supported for domain member computers with domain controllers that run Windows Server 2012:
        • Client operating systems: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
        • Server operating systems: Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003

Forest level:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc771294.aspx
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi Andy

Thank you for the info. My question has been answered.
          I think sticking to 2008 R2 will be my option for the next upgrade

Best regards
          HEnk

Comment

Working...
          X