Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V VM's have no Internet access

Hello everyone,

Recently I rented a dedicated windows 2012 server to host virtual machines on. However these virtual machines don't have internet access, it doesn't matter how I configure the virtual switch.

The guest VM's always have APIPA addresses.

The host VM has a single NIC. And its IP address (using ipconfig) is also the external ip address (whatsmyip.com). How would I set this up. I've tried almost anything...

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

William

Have you tried a static IP address with the correct gateway and DNS on one of the VMs - that will rule out HyperV networking issues

Then look closely at your DHCP server...
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes I did try that.
      However I am hosting this server from a company and I don't have a DHCP server role installed, was I supposed to do that? My apologies for being stupid.

Comment

If it doesn't have a static IP address, it must be able to get one from somewhere - maybe from the hosting company (talk to them). If not, it will (correctly) get an APIPA address.

Suggest you check with the hosting company what arrangements you should make
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X