Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-configure a DC on a different subnet. Hard to describe in one sentence.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-configure a DC on a different subnet. Hard to describe in one sentence.

Hi there!

Okay, we're opening a new warehouse in a different city. I'm going to have a DC there that will replicate DNS and AD from corporate, and handle DHCP for the new warehouse. It will be on its own subnet. I want to preconfigure this box (2012 R2).

Specifically, I want to configure this box to be on the 192.168.1.X subnet, and act as DHCP server for that same subnet. But, I want to configure it while it's living on the 192.168.0.X subnet. If I do that, I'll have 0.X and 1.X in the same location acting as DC/DHCP. Doesn't sound like a good idea, if I can even promote it in that scenario.

Anyone have some guidance/words of wisdom. Eh, who am I kidding: Help!

Thanks!

Oh, worst case scenario, I know I can always promote/configure in the new location. I'd really like to just plug that sucker in and go...

Do the DNS / AD on the 0.x subnet, get DHCP ready but do not authorise it, so it wont be issuing IP addresses, then authorise the DHCP server role once it has moved
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If while it's on the 192.168.0.x network it only has a 192.168.0.x ip address then you can configure both scopes. It won't assign any ip addresses from the 192.168.1.x scope because it won't have an interface with an ip address in that subnet until you move it to the new location and give it an ip address in that subnet.

Comment

LOL, thanks guys! When you say it like, it's so simple...I was over-complicating it in my head. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X