Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade server or server nodes

Hello,
    I am totally greenhorn in server OS and HW, never worked with it before, but i will learn it.
    I need to run one specific program for computing, that runs only in Windows (Win 7, Win 10, Win server).
    This program yields from multiple processors/cores/threads.
    My idea is to buy used server from eBay and I am not sure if I need to buy blade server or separate nodes and connect it together, I only need all its cores be accessible from one Windows instance. Lets say I will have blade server with 8 blades, 2 cpus on each blade, each cpu would be 6core xeon, that is 192 threads in total. Then i need to run the program and have all 192 threads available for it.
    My question is, it is even possible with blade and/or nodes? Or will the maximum be 32 threads (that is one blade)?
    I really appreciate any help..

As far as I understand it, each blade is a separate server, so running its own OS
    What are you doing to need so much power?
    Last edited by Ossian; 5th April 2017, 20:43.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

So maximum I can have is one windows instance on one blade only? Thats not good, so better to build just one node with 2 cpu-socket motherboard..
      Its software for forex history and future probability calculations..

Comment

I don't think ebay is where you want to buy the hardware. Also, for that kind of number crunching, is the software not optimized to use GPUs? All the major vendors have HPC options (can cram a bunch of co-processors or GPUs in the chassis) and/or 4 or more CPU socket servers you can get. But that power isn't cheap.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks Jeremy, but unfortunatelly there is no support for CUDA or Xeon Phi, so I have to rely purely on CPU power..

Comment

A blade server will require a chassis to connect to.

What requirements does the software have, it should have a minimum set of requirements??

Comment

wullieb1: Thank you for your reply. The only requirement software has is Windows operating system, it can be Windows 7, 8, 10, Server editions..
              There is no requirement of RAM, cpu, HDD. There are people who run it on notebook with 4GB RAM and dual core i5. Well, the calculations are slow.
              Currently I am using quad core i7 with 32GB RAM and M2 SSD. But more the CPU number with adequate RAM, the better speed.
              I know blade servers will require blade chassis with fans, psu and administrative module. I dont know if I install 8 blades (thats e.g. 96 cores in total) and install Windows server instance, if I will see all 96 cores in this instance so program will be able to run with all cores..

Comment

A Blade is a single PC/Computer/Server, just making use of shared power, etc., in a framework chassis. But blades can have multiple CPU sockets (i.e. 2), and each CPU can have multiple cores (say , so in my example, 1 Blade can have 16 cores under the single Windows OS, just like a separate server in a box. And RAM can be silly values large, as well. I have a particular model of a well-known PC manufacturer chassis with 2 identical Blades, each with multiple core CPUs and 256Gig RAM to run a failover cluster. But that RAM is by no means the upper limit on this model of hardware. I can't speak for any other vendor but several other companies do something similar. Realistically, the only limit is your checkbook. But as it stands, if your software doesn't understand networking protocols to distribute the workload to other cores that aren't local to your current hardware install, you're not going to be able to 'share' cores between separate Windows installations. By itself, Windows can't do that.
                *RicklesP*
                MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

RicklesP: Thank you for your shared experience. In that case I will build a workstation. Supermicro 2xcpu motherboard, 2x12 core xeon, 128GB DDR4 and I will have less problems than to experiment with blade server. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X