Instant Messaging On Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant Messaging On Server

I was wondering what would be the best instant messaging application, i can install on server 2012, 2016. I've read about Jabber, xmpp, openfire, spark.

And would it be best to have a hosted instant messaging system, with multiple locations?

Thanks

If you mean "just messaging", Spark is (AFAIK) free, and easy to set up. If you want more (presence, file transfer, desktop sharing etc), look into commercial products.
    As far as hosted vs in-house, a lot depends on your environment (single vs multiple site), security requirements (the hoster can - and maybe will - keep all your messages), number of users, existing infrastructure and a lot more.

Treat it as a proper project (analysis, requirements, options, decision, pilot, implement etc) and you can't go wrong
    Last edited by Ossian; 18th February 2017, 15:19.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks! Ossian

Comment

We use Openfire/Spark and they work very well.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

thanks blood

Comment

I've just been running a vulnerability scanner against my system and regarding Spark, which has not had any updates for eons, it says:
            Spark contains a vulnerability when storing encrypted user passwords in the "spark.properties" file with a hardcoded key. Successful exploitation may result in password disclosure and security bypass
            and
            No vendor mitigation is presently available. Ignite Realtime no longer updates Spark. Unsupported versions are susceptible to multiple vulnerabilities, misconfigurations, and insecure protocols that will never be resolved by an official security update.
            So, beware.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
            X