clear stale pages in page file

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear stale pages in page file

My virtual machines memory is 4 GB and during virtual machine creation i have created one drive double the size of my page file i.e 8GB and moved the page file to E drive. Now i can see my page file size 95%. Is there any way without restarting the server can i clear stage pages. I need to bring it to at least 80 percent

Please guide me how to troubleshoot it.

DO you mean 95% of the 8Gb used, or do you mean 95% of disk space used
    Why do you need to bring it down?
    What hypervisor are you using?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

95 Percent of 8GB used becoz threshold for the alert is 90. We use vSphere6

Comment

is there any way to bring it down without rebooting the server. any registry tweek

Comment

Can't you just disable the alert? In general Windows will manage the PF well enough by itself and as long as it is fixed size, it won't overwhelm your drive.
          I don't know any way of clearing the PF except on shutdown (see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-8536823622e3 for a discussion)
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Your not really making any sense to me with this. Your post on the technet forums doesn't really help much either.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...=winserver8gen

Can you please confirm the following

1. Your pagefile is set to at least 1.5 times the amount of RAM in your system. This has been the "standard" for a long time.
            2. What exactly is it that is at 95% full?? The disk or your actual pagefile?
            3. In the technet question you mention an app. Does the system meet the requirements for the app to run correctly??
            4. What monitoring software are you using??

Typically high pagefile usage is indicative that the machine doesn't have enough memory to run the relevant applications on the system and thus it writes these "pages" to a file on the disk, your pagefile. You mentionied again in the technet forums that you are unable to provide more RAM so unfortuantely you will need to live with the high pagefile use until you can.

Comment

Page file size is either set by you, or managed automatically by the OS. If you're worried about the mapped drive where the pagefile.sys sits not having enough space, increase the size of the virtual drive file, reboot the VM and then expand the drive in Storage Management. If you can't increase the VM RAM size and you want to use apps which require more space to work at their best, that's the only answer available to you.
              *RicklesP*
              MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X