Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raid 1 or 10

Hi

I have 4 1.2tb 10k sas Hdd, I need to store exchange 2013 edb and sql mdf. Which configure would be best. 2 raid 1, one each for each piece of data or 1 raid 10 storing both pieces of data. If I go for 2 raid 1 i can separate the data from each other. But I know there is a performance increase with raid10.

what do you guy think. I plan to put the trn logs on another set of disk 2 * 300gb

regards mark

IMHO the RAID 10 option unless you can do the RAID1's on separate controllers - RAID 10 gives more flexibility over size of files etc

Separately, you do know that putting Exchange and SQL Server on the same box is not a good idea - both will attempt to hog all available memory (giving it up gracefully on demand) so you will see a constant battle between the two for the machine's RAM

Also keep the Exchange logs on a separate array if you can
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The sql and exchange are separate virtual machines on a single hyperv 2012r2 host. Ml350g9. I have a pair of 600gb in raid 1 for guest OS. Another separate raid 1 volume for trn logs. Finally I couldn't decide on the 4 1.2tb, should I separate In to 2 raid1 or bundle them all together in a raid 10.
      also I have another raid1 with the hyperv host os installed so most all other system stuff is separated.
      Last edited by MarkJones; 18th January 2017, 22:20.

Comment

Working...
      X