Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS configuration for Child Domain

Hi all,
    I have a network consisted of 4 servers: 2 work as DCs on forest (primary and secondary), and another 2 working as DCs on child domain (primary and secondary). I have some hard time in settin up the correct DNS configuration on my child domain DCs and when i ran the dcdiag /testNS a lot of errors showed up on the child domain DCs. I searched for tutorials on DNS configuration but all of them are about setting up the DNS on forest DCs and the ones i found about child domain DCs are only up to the part that the DNS role is installed.
    I need to correctly set up the forward and reverse lookup zones because when i enter network path of child domain \\childdc.child.contoso.com to the forest dc it says network path not exist, but when i type the ip \\10.10.10.10 it shows the shared folders fine. Also if i type \\masterdc.contoso.com, which is the network path of the forest DC, on the child domain server, the network path works fine. So it is clearly a name resolution problem.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Check out this thread from a few years back https://www.petri.com/forums/forum/m...-child-domains
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks for the response. I have already seen that thread but i still have some questions. I have created two forward lookup zones on the forest Dc and on the child domain DC. Do i have to create also Reverse lookup zones? Also do i have to create conditional forwarders in the child domain? When i try to add one, on the DNS Domain i add the child domain name and on the master servers the forest DC server or vice versa?
      Thank you again.

Comment

Have a look at this Microsoft primer: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../cc961414.aspx
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Sorry for delay.. I have created a reverse lookup zone on forest DC with PTR pointing to the server. Do i have to create more rDNS zones pointing to the child domain servers? Also do i have to create forwarders?
          Thank you

Comment

In our child domain we setup secondary zones to our root domain, _msdcs and the other child domain. Zone transfers take care of the changes.

Our reverse lookup zones are all AD integrated.

Comment

Originally posted by antros48 View Post
              Sorry for delay.. I have created a reverse lookup zone on forest DC with PTR pointing to the server. Do i have to create more rDNS zones pointing to the child domain servers? Also do i have to create forwarders?
              Thank you
              You don't have to create any reverse lookup zones. AD doesn't rely on or use reverse lookup zones for any purpose. While it's generally considered best practice to create reverse lookup zones, and I recommend doing it, they have absolutely nothing to do with AD or AD DNS.

Comment

Why from my PDC on Forest i cannot find the child DC using \\CDC1 ??

Comment

Can you reach it using an FQDN: \\cdc1.child.domain.com ?
                  \\cdc1 is a NetBIOS name, so different rules apply to resolution
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes i can reach it through FQDN. How do i correct the NetBios Name Resolution?

Comment

Wins

Comment

I setup WINS Server on my Forest PDC and after i added the IP on the WINS settings of my child PDC althought the name showed up in the Reports of my WINS server, i still cannot use \\cdc1..
                        Im i missing anything?

Comment

Working...
                        X