Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Guest + USB 3.0 pass-through disk

Hello,

I have a Windows Server 2012 with the Hyper-V Role. One of my guests is another 2012 box.

I know how pass-through disks work : my configuration is fine with a USB 2.0 disk (setting it offline on the parent, adding a SCSI controller, ...), but if I do exactly the same steps with a USB 3.0 controller (the disk is correctly detected by the host, etc...), it is not seen by the guest.

Do you have any idea ?
    [Remove hidden SPAM link]
    Thank you for your help
    Last edited by biggles77; 5th January 2017, 05:35. Reason: Remove hidden SPAM link

What about the same USB3 disk on a different (possibly USB2) controller and vice versa?
    (Basically trying to isolate the problem to the disk or the controller)
    Host driver issue, anyway.....
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by zaryccvb View Post
      Hello,

I have a Windows Server 2012 with the Hyper-V Role. One of my guests is another 2012 box.

I know how pass-through disks work : my configuration is fine with a USB 2.0 disk (setting it offline on the parent, adding a SCSI controller, ...), but if I do exactly the same steps with a USB 3.0 controller (the disk is correctly detected by the host, etc...), it is not seen by the guest.

Do you have any idea ?
      [Remove hidden SPAM link]
      Thank you for your help
      USB disk cant be presented to the vm guest as per the MS rules.However, if the same USB disk is being identified as local disk it can be presented to hyper v host & VM guest but if it being identified as internal storage thn we CANT use it as a disk(host or guest).. reason is, the presented disk to be offline to be used as vm pass thru disk

Comment

Working...
      X