Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed up wired network

Greetings!

I have a computing lab with about 50 units and 1 windows 2012 r2 server.
    All clients are connected using static ip - 192.168.1.x
    Server is static - 192.168.1.200
    All computers are connected to a switch

Will adding another cable to the server, speed up my network

Assuming the server has two network ports, you can use NiC Teaming to make two connections behave as one, so yes, you should see some speed gain

WHat speed is the switch?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

im using dlink des-1210-52 with 4 giga ports. So i plan to use the 2 giga ports. How to do?

Comment

It is one of the basic configuration options for a local machine, and any network administrator really should know what to do, but courtesy of 10 seconds with Mr you can follow the instructions here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...oud-workloads/
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Buy a better switch.

That one is a 10/100MB switch.

http://us.dlink.com/products/busines...mbo-base-tsfp/

Comment

The switch he has should be fine for his purposes, as stated. Using only FastEthernet for the client access speeds is usable, but when all traffic goes to a single server, that's where his throttle is. He's right to pick using the gig ports in an LACP config.
            *RicklesP*
            MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

That would all depend on what his lab is doing. Example for me would be a deployment screnario across a 100MB network is terrible, trust i'm trying to get a production site upgraded from a 100MB client connection.

To the OP, while it would appear that you will get 2GBps speeds there will be overheads at the swtich and the server. It will however be faster than the 1GBps single connection,

Comment

Assuming it is in fact, your network that is the issue. It's not just as simple as saying "increase server trunk." I mean.. you have 50 computers, accessing a single server for (I assume) file access. Where does your performance bottleneck exist? If you've got slow sata disks instead of SAS, you may find your server is having I/O problems for instance, just getting and putting data on the disk, before it even gets put on the network.

However, for the example, adding an additional 1G nic to a trunk would help identify tht, in the absence of other tools. It's cheap if you have the existing ports.
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                X