Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Disk Space on C - Server 2012 DC

Hi all,

I have a problem and I'm not sure where it's coming from. I have TWO virtual domain controllers (DC4 & DC5). Hyper-V. Neither of these are the primary DC, which is physical (DC3). Anyway, for some reason, DC4 is running terribly low on disk space on the C drive (its only drive). DC5 is fine, and yet they both have the same things installed and do the same things. They have DHCP, DNS, etc... Both are allotted 40GB for a disk. DC5 has well north of 15GB free space and hasn't fluctuated appreciably in the 3 years its been in service. DC4, however, I just noticed, is out of space.

I have looked, as best I can, at System Volume Information, thinking that could be chewing up space, but as best I can tell, it isn't. I have also searched "size:gigantic" on the C drive and found only a few files in the 150MB range. Certainly nothing appreciable there, either. The pagefile is 2GB, and while I could certainly shrink or eliminate that, that would only help a little and be temporary to boot.

Any ideas how I can figure out what's chewing up my drive? Help! Thanks!

CB

***UPDATE***

OK, this is kinda creepy... It's fine now. 19GB free. So a brief timeline is that I logged in a few hours ago to notice 0 bytes available on disk. Did a minor manual cleaning to get a few hundred MB, but that was it. Rebooted it to see if that would do anything. Upon starting back up, it hadn't. Had to leave it for about an hour, and when I got back, it was magically up to the aforementioned 19GB free space! HUH???

Comment

Guess the minions helped you....
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by WorldBuilder View Post
        ***UPDATE***

OK, this is kinda creepy... It's fine now. 19GB free. So a brief timeline is that I logged in a few hours ago to notice 0 bytes available on disk. Did a minor manual cleaning to get a few hundred MB, but that was it. Rebooted it to see if that would do anything. Upon starting back up, it hadn't. Had to leave it for about an hour, and when I got back, it was magically up to the aforementioned 19GB free space! HUH???
        Two words: Windows Update.

I see this on our data server. It has about 19GB free space. Sometimes when updates have been installed and a reboot is required there is very little disk space remaining on the system drive. It happened during the last round of updates when there was 12MB left. After restarting to finish the installation of Windows Updates it was back to its 19GB again. Saw it a few months ago on a DC too - just a few MB free space on the system drive while waiting for a reboot to install Windows Updates. One reboot later and everything is back to normal.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
        X