Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Start from new or try and repair

Hello:

I have inherited a mess. we have 2 Domain controllers that were originally setup on a windows 2000 server then migrated to a server 2003 and then migrated to a server 2008. We are now down to approx a total of 11 employees total.

We have 17 ex employees that are disabled
    Approx 35 computers listed that are not in use
    Folder redirection has ceased to operate
    Internal network slower than you know what.

My predecessor setup the internal network with a routable ip range.

So the question is do i try to clean all this up or just start new and redo the whole network.

i realize that i would have to disconnect all client computers, file server email server from the domain then demote everything. Then reconfigure 2 new domain controllers and rejoin everything back to the new domain. Plus trouble shoot all problems i create.

So that is my thinking just wondering if anyone has any suggestions and / or comments

IMHO (and other opinions may differ), you would be best to start again
    a) Small environment (10-ish computers/users)
    b) Legacy accumulated c**p
    c) Chance to make all the changes you want

Blow away one DC and use it to build up the new domain, move the clients, then blow away the other DC once the new one is up and running properly
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I was pretty sure i was leaning the right way - thank you

Comment

Working...
      X