Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on upgrading to a new server hardware

Hi there,

Right now we are running SBS2003 (only 1 DC in 1 forest, Exchange 2003, Sql server 2005) on IBM x3400 m4 (2 xeon e5320 and 2 sas 146gb).

We have 30 employees who connect to this server (company own app) and this is max workers in last 10 years.

Beside this server we have ibm x3300 m4 (WinSrv 2008 R2 Std, 1 xeon E5-2407 and 2 sas 500gb) and i'm thinking to move sql and mail to this server.

I'm planning upgrade to new server and right now looking at dell poweredge T430 (2 sockets) and hp proliant ML110 (1 socket), but I'm not sure about amount of RAM and disk space.

As of OS I'm planning to upgrade to WinSrv 2016 R2 Standard and probably I'll use one of the virtual instances for RDS.

Any advice is appreciate: to buy new hardware and OS or to upgrade one of these servers to new server OS?

thanks

Buy new hardware - the kit you have is very old

If you are planning RDS, look at storage IOPS and consider SSDs
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for advice

Comment

Working...
      X