Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending C

Hello,

I created a Virtual Box where I installed 2012 R2, 50 GB of hard disk.

I ran out of space, and wanted to extent the volume. To this end, I attached a new 100 GB drive to the VirtualBox box, but I see that I cannot extent C because the free space is not contiguous. ( https://www.partition-magic-server.c...partition.html )

Is it my only choice to reinstall or to get a third party software?

I am trying not to reinstall because I installed also SCCM 2012 R2 in this box.

Thanks in advance.
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Doesn't Virtual Box have an option to expand or extend the original virtual hard disk?

Comment

If not, you can convert to a dynamic disk and extend to a non-contiguous space

Be aware this conversion is irreversible

Alternatively, since it is (I assume) a test environment, backup then restore to a new, larger, VM - good test of server 2012 BMR too!
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks both.

Joeqwerty , I will definitely look into that !

Ossian, I hadnt thought of converting it, sorry about that. Yes, it is a lab. I already took a backup, I always take many backups.

Thanks again!
        -
        Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          Doesn't Virtual Box have an option to expand or extend the original virtual hard disk?
          I have just looked into this, and there seems not to be such option.
          -
          Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Maybe you need to do some research then. 2 secs in Google gave me this from 2012.

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewto...p?f=35&t=50661

I don't have virtualbox installed at the moment but it surely can't be that difficult to increase the virtual disk size then extend it in Windows.

Comment

Yes, I just looked into the software itself, not on google, shame on me.

I made a full backup with Windows 2012 Backup feature and it worked!

Thanks a lot !
              -
              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
              X