Failing Hard disk in Windows server 2012 R2 Standard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing Hard disk in Windows server 2012 R2 Standard

I run windows server 2012 R2 in our organization, It has WSUS, DOmain, DNS,DHCP servers running among others

SO i noticed a hard ware error on the disk where window server is , now when i login into the server, the screen just flickers and i cant do anything.

Under server manager, the drive C doesnt even show the volume label and disk error " the IO operation at logical block address 0x2f9fdc0 for Disk 0(PDO name:\Device\00000033) failed due to a hardware error

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 6.3.9600.17667, time stamp: 0x54c6f7c2
    Faulting module name: twinui.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54503c45
    Exception code: 0xc0000006
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000448fb
    Faulting process id: 0x3f18
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d22b618067621f
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\twinui.dll
    Report Id: be7cd6ad-9754-11e6-80ef-441ea139d23a
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Anyway, so I have purchased another Server disk and i want to remove the faulty disk and reinstall the new disk and put windows server 2012 there,

I had also created another replica domain 2 for replication purposes and the Domain users/computers/DNS have replicated. i.e I can see the users in the new created domain server , as such i assume replication as happened.

I tried doing a sytem state backup but i guess because of the disk failing , it just hangs, apparently users are able still to access the other shared folders, internet, and other domain services, but because of the warning in the server and flickering i have to replace the disk

so my question are before i remove and insert the new disk in our server do i need to transfer the FSMO roles to the new server i created for replication?

what else do i need to observe and do before replacing the disk

thank you

A bit late in me noticing this, but I take it most of you are aware there is a way of copying most if not all the data on a hard drive even thought you cannot boot up the drive again. I involves if necessary setting the CMOS to look for a CD/DVD drive or Flash drive before say trying to run say Windows on the Hard drive. You then buy and insert a Linux disk which like most is capable of reading your hard drive and a Flash Drive, so you can copy data over to a flash drive. That is even if you need to copy only part of the hard drive at a time. Likewise if you do not have a CD/DVD drive installed you can transfer a Linux to a flash drive to boot up.

Comment

thanks for the reply

I managed to install the new hard disk and replicate and all is well on the domain services side.

now, the server had other 5 SAS disk drives that host users data and are shared to them
      Upon reinstallation and replicating the active directory services from another server,I booted the server to check the drives but they arent there.

When i boot the server using the HP smartstart CD array i see the drives are unassigned, with the option of creating an array /logical drives with them.

I am not sure though of doing this as they have data and i wouldnt want to lose the crucial data.

Kindly advise me on what i can do and whether creating an array ( from the unassigned drives when using HP smart start CD) will erase all the data present.?

Comment

Working...
      X