• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permission for share folder

Please help to analyze file share permission ,

Root-----> sub-root1------>sub-root2

My setting set Root = everyone can access and read only
    Set sub-root1 = everyone can access and read only exclude root1 group can read ,access,write
    Set sub-root2 = specific some group to access and read only , And add some user can read and access and write . Another group cannot access.

Please advise me . I setting following my idea but every users can access to sub-root2 . I remove inhering from parent folder already.
    Last edited by momaydopod; 11th October 2016, 11:23.

Sorry, but not clear what is actually happening
    Are you using share permissions or NTFS permissions

As a general rule, set open share permissions (Domain Users Modify and Domain Admins Full Control as an example) at the root, then use NTFS permissions
    If you do that, set NTFS permissions as follows:
    Root - users read / read & execute ./ list contents
    Sub 1 - as above plus Root1Group Write & possibly modify (if they need to delete)
    Sub 2 - break inheritance, remove above settings (leave System etc for backups). Manually add Read Group, Write group (never add users, use groups even if they contain one person). Default implicit deny will stop all others
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Sorry, but not clear what is actually happening
      Are you using share permissions or NTFS permissions

As a general rule, set open share permissions (Domain Users Modify and Domain Admins Full Control as an example) at the root, then use NTFS permissions
      If you do that, set NTFS permissions as follows:
      Root - users read / read & execute ./ list contents
      Sub 1 - as above plus Root1Group Write & possibly modify (if they need to delete)
      Sub 2 - break inheritance, remove above settings (leave System etc for backups). Manually add Read Group, Write group (never add users, use groups even if they contain one person). Default implicit deny will stop all others
      I use NTFS permission and use file sharing on windows server

So in group have user can write but that group in other user can ready only , How do you do ?
      Last edited by momaydopod; 11th October 2016, 11:25.

Comment

Very well, thank you for asking

If you mean "how do you give one user read and one user write permissions":
        Create two groups
        Add one user to each
        Give the first group read permissions (see above)
        Give the second group modify and write permissions as well as the read permissions
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

example

We have 3 Group such GroupA GroupB GroupC in deatil

GroupA have member UserA1 , UserA2 , UserA3

GroupB have member UserB1 , UserB2 , UserB3

GroupC have member UserC1 , UserC2 , UserC3

GroupD have member UserD1 , UserD2 , UserD3

We have creare file share V:\everyone\dept\man..

I need Group A to C can access and read only on man folder , Group D cannot access to folder . How to configure on sharing and permission ?
          and then i need exception UserA2 , UserB2 , UserC2 can access and wirte on man folder . How to configure on sharing and permission ?

Please help to inventigate

Comment

Please see my explanations above - they will need adapting as your new scenario is slightly different to your original one. If you still don't understand, please ask your SysAdmin to set it up and show you how its done
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Start with these

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...or=-2147217396

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx

What you are asking is actually pretty simple and Toms explanation above should be enough to get this task going for you.

Comment

Working...
              X